Wiring centre for UFH misfiring

Adsibob

Came home from holiday to a surprisingly warm house. The largest UFH zone in our ground floor slab was on and the majority of the ground floor was 28C. Checked my gas usage and it appears it’s been on since yesterday morning. The heating schedule on the thermostat was off, yet checking the little LED lights on the wiring centre that zone is definitely on, even though the thermostat is definitely off. Only way to switch it off is to shut down the whole system or the boiler, but both options would kill the hot water - unless I run that on the immersion element.

I don’t think the thermostat is faulty, as it’s a Tado and I’ve never had problems with their devices, and have owned them for a few years (this particular thermostat is only 6 months old, and appears to be working well otherwise, though just in case I will swap it B out for a regular thermostat to test it).

One thing that happened whilst I was away was that the plasterboard was opened up on the wall where the thermostat in question is, and two additional 13A sockets fairly near to the thermostat were added. Is it possible that some wires were crossed in the process and the thermostat is incorrectly wired? Very weird. Will speak to the site foreman in the morning and report back.

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

One thing that happened whilst I was away was that the plasterboard was opened up on the wall where the thermostat in question is, and two additional 13A sockets fairly near to the thermostat were added. Is it possible that some wires were crossed in the process and the thermostat is incorrectly wired? Very weird. Will speak to the site foreman in the morning and report back.

A "why has this suddenly gone wrong" question is much easier to answer if you ask the question "what work was done in the house immediately before it went wrong"  And you have your answer.

Who fitted the sockets?  I would be VERY worried in their competence if they mistook a thermostat cable for a ring main cable, so it is more likely they disturbed the thermostat cable either pulling it out of it's connections inside the thermostat, or they drilled a hole through it?

If you trust their competence now, get them back to sort it out.  for free of course.

7 hours ago, ProDave said:

A "why has this suddenly gone wrong" question is much easier to answer if you ask the question "what work was done in the house immediately before it went wrong"  And you have your answer.

Who fitted the sockets?  I would be VERY worried in their competence if they mistook a thermostat cable for a ring main cable, so it is more likely they disturbed the thermostat cable either pulling it out of it's connections inside the thermostat, or they drilled a hole through it?

If you trust their competence now, get them back to sort it out.  for free of course.

This was my thinking, but the guy that fitted the new sockets is a highly competent foreman. He’s been working on site for 18 months now, almost everyday and is very good at everything he does; he is not an electrician, and has hardly done any of the electrics, but when he does do the odd thing, he does it under the guidance of the sparky who is also excellent. He didn’t actually fit sockets per say, he fitted back boxes and wires to them. So not yet usable sockets, not that that should matter. Very strange. Raised it with the main contractor who called the electrician and called the foreman. They spoke for a bit pointed out that that work happened on Thursday whereas the malfunction kicked off on the following Monday. Then electrician showed up, reset the boiler, reset the wiring centre by simply raising the temp above room temp and then lowering it again, showed me that everything was working as it should be then said it must be a problem with Tado, and told me to raise the issue with them. But I find that hard to believe. It has worked fine for the last few weeks and I’ve lived with Tado before and never had an issue.