Self build, principal contractor.

Hi all

I have seen some posts but might be superseded by now:

I intend to self build (like a lot of grand designs that I've seen) but the cdm regulations seem to imply there will be lots of contractors working around each other. I will not have this so am wondering:

Can I be the domestic client and principal contractor ?

Will I still need to notify HSE of a project (F10?) ?

Will I still require a construction phase plan?

Will I have to produce RA & MS for every activity?

Will I have to submit RAMS to someone ?

Sorry if this is long winded

Paul

Paul,

[the following is neither advice, or legal guidance 🙂 ]

I am self-building, quite literally. I consider myself to be the domestic client (although that could be SWMBO), and the principal contractor. I therefore know where problems may occur for pretty much everything I am doing myself and I don't do RA's fro each little job, and neither have I notified HSE.

Three items so far I have not done myself - groundworks, erecting steel and pouring concrete. In each case I have met with the people carrying out the work, before they start, shown them the site, what I consider to be the "danger" areas and risks, and then asked them to confirm if they are comfortable with accepting responsibility for themselves and anyone/anything they bring onsite to perform their work. In each case they have, and I consider myself to be covered.

I have experience only one accident on site requiring medical intervention - a gash to a leg from re-inforcing mesh.

Others will be along shortly to tell me I've got it all wrong 🙂 

• Thanks 1

Here's what you need. Follow  the links in the page(s).

In brief CDM 2015 does not apply to self builders. Take all reasonable care. Follow Best Practice. Do not do anything that suggests you might be a Client, and therefore NOT  a Domestic Client. Be sure to know the difference between the terms Client and Domestic Client  . That distinction is critical.

I am not an expert. I've just done the hard yards doing the research so others can benefit.

Do not follow my advice as if it is expert advice. It isn't.

• Thanks 1

Go on the Aps store, Google or apple and download CDM wizard.  Fill in all the steps and you then have a fully compliant risk evaluation.

As principal contractor, anyone on site reports to you, you manage who is on site and when, a single build they should not be tripping over themselves.

My build was a single trade and me on site, other than the loads I did myself and then it was me with various helpers as needed.

Can I be the domestic client and principal contractor ? Yes or client your wife.

Will I still need to notify HSE of a project (F10?) ? Don't believe you do, I didn't.

Will I still require a construction phase plan? CDM wizard

Will I have to produce RA & MS for every activity? CDM wizard

Will I have to submit RAMS to someone ? No but needs to be available, CDM wizard.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Here's what you need. Follow  the links in the page(s).

In brief CDM 2015 does not apply to self builders. Take all reasonable care. Follow Best Practice. Do not do anything that suggests you might be a Client, and therefore NOT  a Domestic Client. Be sure to know the difference between the terms Client and Domestic Client  . That distinction is critical.

I am not an expert. I've just done the hard yards doing the research so others can benefit.

Do not follow my advice as if it is expert advice. It isn't.

As the owner and intended tenant, surely I must be a client of some sort ?

I learned about CDM 2015 on an SMSTS course.  It has been designed to fit all sizes and types of construction projects but in fact does not.  Most smaller builders and contractors just have a few pro-forma RAMS at best.

Most of the risks on site can be eliminated or controlled.  Falling is the biggest risk on most sites.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2022 at 20:02, ToughButterCup said:

CDM 2015 does not apply to self builders. Because self-builders are domestic clients.

CDM2015 does apply to projects with domestic clients - it just transfer all duties onto others.

CDM2015 doesn't apply to self-builders because they are doing the work DIY (so there is no 'work' activity, so no Health and Safety at Work Act 1974, so no CDM2015).

If it is no longer DIY (for example, employing other (sub)contractors and they manage the site), then they become the Principal Contractor and CDM2015 does apply.

The duties under CDM2015 aren't onerous, so it's best to apply them so it doesn't become a panic later on.

Decent Welfare, a written plan, keep things safe.