Regs for self builders - Which parts did you read?

giacomo_z

1 hour ago, joe90 said:

Still not available after a while, don’t understand it 🤔

I think maybe because the link breaks due to all the // in a job number. I can search your application and see the pdf. No idea how to fix it thought sorry, I think it’s the fault of the  planning website.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right, so I made a start on Structure. My intention is to go with ICF. I note that Approved Documents give guidance only on how compliance to Building Regulations can be achieved but of course there other ways, e.g. for Part A at page 6: "requirements of A1 and A2 will be met by following the recommendations given in the documents listed in Section 1 or by adopting the guidance in Section 2-4".

Now, section 1 lists BS standards; section 2:

• A: stability
  • B: floors and roof
  • C: masonry walls
  • D: chimneys
  • E: foundations

From all of that I understand that if I build with ICF section 2C does not apply (not even for the size of major openings? for max height of a building?) and I can achieve compliance by following the technical documents of a (reputable and CE/UKCA-marked) ICF manufacturer, who will comply with the relevant standards in section 1. Provided I ask for a DoC for the product that matches the listed standards, I should be ok.

Is the above correct? If so, I should find in the appropriate standard a requirement for, e.g., max size of major openings, etc, which should match what section 2B states. I have no intention of buying and reading BS standards and I should trust a good SE/architect experienced with ICF builds, or shouldn't I? How do I check drawings and calcs are compliant with the standards?

Thanks,

Giacomo

With ICF you aren't tied to the Part A rules on masonry wall openings. Although they will still give good rules to follow for basic layouts that will work comfortable. 

The manufacturer would need to explicitly be providing you with a design which demonstrates compliance with the Building Regulations (via use of the appropriate British Standard or Eurocode). If they cannot do this then you will need to get your own structural engineer to get the design to comply. 

They are also unlikely to comment on or design foundations, aside from giving take down loads.