Is there an easy way to help heat loss through these GU 10 spotlights?

MrTWales

Hi, in my conservatory I have 12 of these light fittings (it's part of the original build and has a proper tapered roof and walls). In the winter it gets quite cold and I can feel the airflow under each of these lights if I put my hand there. 

I think you can get covers that you place around the fitting from the other side (like a face down plant pot) but I can't get to that side, and I guess there are different fittings that have a fireproof surround but it would take 12 of these and I assume I'd have to get someone to fit them so that would cost a fair bit. 

I just wonder if I'm missing something. I guess I could use some silicone and cut it out if a bulb needs replacing but I'd worry about not being able to swist the fitting. I also wondered about some kind of sticky circular covering for the outer gap where most of the airflow is but I can't see anything online.

So I think I just deal with it or get 12 new fittings and get them fitted?

image.png.ff998533506c98a15cfe2d449d023264.png

Just now, JohnMo said:

But don't buy unbranded Toolstation ones with a 120mm cutout!

11 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

Ah thanks. Interesting. I can't work out from the picture how the bulb stays in place as there is no twisty part - maybe there is a metal clip on the outside?

12 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Replace them with fire rated LED downlights.

Something like the Aurora Enlite E8 or the Luceco F-type will work on a budget. 

This is maybe something I should do! To be clear (baring in mind I don't have much common sense) - this would mean re-wiring the fitting a bit whereas the other helpful option wouldn't as the bulb just fits in wired as it is?

27 minutes ago, MrTWales said:

Ah thanks. Interesting. I can't work out from the picture how the bulb stays in place as there is no twisty part - maybe there is a metal clip on the outside?

28 minutes ago, MrTWales said:

They don’t have a bulb, it’s all built in led, when it fails you chuck it and fit a new one. 

7 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

They don’t have a bulb, it’s all built in led, when it fails you chuck it and fit a new one. 

Ah I see. Doh!

I am now wondering about whether a cheap and easy way is to find non-tilt fittings as, looking at it, the gap is only there to allow for tilt and I don't need them to tilt. 

Eg - something like this would work I think (?) and I could fit it myself (which is saying something)...

https://tekled.co.uk/products/fixed-pressed-steel-downlight-white-ip20-gu10?variant=42546454167793&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1tGUBhDXARIsAIJx01klIFd8GazVnQDGHmG0JkOT5FTycfqBPuyV3_IBk2MIrj6Q17GZDoIaAidLEALw_wcB

Edited by MrTWales
link!

1 hour ago, MrTWales said:

I also like the metal clip thing to keep the bulb in place as sometimes the twisty bits get stuck and that makes me get all annoyed, esp if on a ladder.

Install those Aurora or Luceco ones and you will not have to change a bulb all built in and fully sealed, also a little more efficient and better optics and lumen output than a GU10 LED lamp (which have little inbuild LED power supplies (drivers) which get hot and fail. 

• Like 1

They do look good - I assume that you yank it all out and replace when the bulb goes but I guess it's very rare.

The issue I have is that there are 12 of these in the room (too many but I guess bulbs have got brighter since the house was built) and the room is very bright as is with 3w/4w bulbs so I don't need more than that for each. I also like trying different bulbs sometimes - eg I got some new warm light GU10s this year that are only 4w but insanely bright, so I switched some in rooms where the spotlight was over a desk and it looks amazing. 

I wonder about getting something like this - as it's cheap and even I could fit myself with no wiring and use with existing bulbs. Not as good as what you linked to but it should stop virtually all of the draft.

https://www.lights.co.uk/elc-dakarra-downlight-set-of-10-gu10-white.html 

12 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Install those Aurora or Luceco ones and you will not have to change a bulb all built in and fully sealed, also a little more efficient and better optics and lumen output than a GU10 LED lamp (which have little inbuild LED power supplies (drivers) which get hot and fail. 

3 minutes ago, MrTWales said:

They do look good - I assume that you yank it all out and replace when the bulb goes but I guess it's very rare.

The issue I have is that there are 12 of these in the room (too many but I guess bulbs have got brighter since the house was built) and the room is very bright as is with 3w/4w bulbs so I don't need more than that for each. I also like trying different bulbs sometimes - eg I got some new warm light GU10s this year that are only 4w but insanely bright, so I switched some in rooms where the spotlight was over a desk and it looks amazing. 

I wonder about getting something like this - as it's cheap and even I could fit myself with no wiring and use with existing bulbs. Not as good as what you linked to but it should stop virtually all of the draft.

https://www.lights.co.uk/elc-dakarra-downlight-set-of-10-gu10-white.html 

I think they will still leak air.

The lamp will be a tighter fit into those, but not airtight. Technically only a fire rated downlight will achieve what you want.

You can get some decent fire rated GU10 down lights - but if you can stretch to the more expensive option I would high recommend it.

• Like 1

I've ordered some as they are so cheap (different to my earlier link as they got bad reviews), but if they aren't that great I'll get the proper ones you suggested. As it is, even now in May, if I put my hand by a fitting I feel a cold draft so anything will be an improvement over that as the gap to allow the swivel is just so big. 

I must have >60 GU10s in the house overall and when my thermal camera gets here I'll see what they all look like but I can see myself spending lots of cash on new fittings at some point!

6 minutes ago, MrTWales said:

I've ordered some as they are so cheap (different to my earlier link as they got bad reviews), but if they aren't that great I'll get the proper ones you suggested. As it is, even now in May, if I put my hand by a fitting I feel a cold draft so anything will be an improvement over that as the gap to allow the swivel is just so big. 

I must have >60 GU10s in the house overall and when my thermal camera gets here I'll see what they all look like but I can see myself spending lots of cash on new fittings at some point!

You could try, as a bit of a bodge, setting the GU10 lamp into the base with some silicone (all of which will withstand high temps for this application - it won't melt or burn, but use silicone). 

Yes it means they will take a bit to get them out but a little pry with a screwdriver and it should achieve what you want.

Good news is your draughty ceiling void will help prolong the life of these lamps!

• Like 1

Good point about the silicone. A tiny bit on the inside should help and I guess I can change the bulbs without needing to remove it anyway. 

I forgot about ordering a thermal camera before - so I'm tempted to wait until I get it, then take pictures / videos when some fittings are replaced (and maybe some with and without silicone) to see what difference it makes.