3 Phase metering in a 60's built domestic property

Old Sparks

My widowed mother in law lives in the family home where her deceased husband (electrical engineer) designed and installed his own 3 phase distribution system. The metering to the property has 5 Kwh meters all read or estimated by the supply company. Can anyone advise why there would be 5 meters? and not just 3 and a summation meter. The cumulative  Kwh unit rates / costs  are horrendous.  

1 hour ago, Old Sparks said:

My widowed mother in law lives in the family home where her deceased husband (electrical engineer) designed and installed his own 3 phase distribution system. The metering to the property has 5 Kwh meters all read or estimated by the supply company. Can anyone advise why there would be 5 meters? and not just 3 and a summation meter. The cumulative  Kwh unit rates / costs  are horrendous.  

Did he let out any outbuildings and the extras are landlord meters eg outgoing not incoming?

1 hour ago, Old Sparks said:

The cumulative  Kwh unit rates / costs  are horrendous.

It must be the energy usage that is horendous.  If you split my house usage over 5 different meters and then summed the usage, the result would be the same.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

If you split my house usage over 5 different meters and then summed the usage, the result would be the same.

Not if 4 of them were on the same circuit.

@Old Sparks spend an hour there taking 5 minute readings, then go back in the morning and see what has happened.

Edited by SteamyTea

16 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Are two phases of the three used for E7? The billing details should show this, and the meter numbers.

Morning StormyTea. Thank you for the question. At this stage i am not sure. The house was state of the art back in the 60's when my to be Father in Law designed his installation. He was an electrical engineer by training and an electrical wholesaler by trade. So his installation became a bit of a discussion point even today. We know that his heating in the house is underfloor. There was a swimming pool which is now defunct and isolated electrically. There is only electricity in the house, no gas. I have copies of invoices / bills which my mother in law gets monthly. It clearly shows 5 meters being estimated. Just to give you an indication of the  family concern the "Future Estimated Usage" is now at £8500 at the current Kwh rate. The account is in credit to the tune of £3500. So you will see why we are now concerned and trying to understand what is connected and what the meters are for. Unfortunately we cannot find any schematics that father in law might have drawn up, that will be a task on its own , and he didn't bother to identify the outgoing circuits. That is another job i have to get to do. So as i perceive the three meters connected to the incomer first will be three single phase meters, the other two are as yet a mystery , but i shall stick to the task  at reducing the month bill and the amount of credit she has "on account".

Edited by Old Sparks

Do the 'other two' meters go to separate consumer units (fuse boxes).

You may be better off finding an electrical to trace a few circuits.

State of the arts in the 1960 was 'energy too cheap to meter' and a self winding mechanical watch.

And a Ford Cortina.

image.png.eacfca05e35cab89a9369a77fed64f78.png

Edited by SteamyTea

Electric under floor heating in the 60's with probably not much insulation is going to consume a lot of electricity.

Forget estimates take actual readings of each meter.  But please post some photos we may be able to explain it a bit.

On 16/05/2022 at 18:45, Nickfromwales said:

Did he let out any outbuildings and the extras are landlord meters eg outgoing not incoming?

Nickfromwales. No no sub letting. The only "Out Building" was the pump house for the swimming pool , now defunct and isolated. I'll photograph the array when next visiting and take meter readings.