Driveway ideas - Best DIY permeable option?

mike2016

I was tee'ing up to pour a standard concrete driveway next month but the plans state it has to be permeable. Also regs seem to indicate if you want to cover up the whole front garden more than 50% it has to be permeable. I could just do it in standard concrete but that might get me into trouble though, and I plan to sell to build next door shortly. I will need an ACO drain as the driveway slopes towards the house.

I did get quotes in January for 50 square meters prices ranged from 5K to 14K with only the top one being permeable. They all seems fine to do imprinted / tarmac etc that isn't permeable! 

To save money I wanted to do this myself DIY so I'll study www.pavingexpert.com as suggested here in another thread. 

I took a look at permeable concrete videos on youtube, it needs a steel roller and is harder to work with than standard concrete. Has anyone poured a driveway with this stuff themselves? 

I could just go for block pavers, seems to be the most common. I'm laying a patio currently so I'll be fresh off that. 

What do people think is the best DIY option for permeable driveways? Thanks!

driveway.jpg

What build up system is recommended for permeable pavers? One system I've seen has 250-350mm Type 3 MOT (or 4/20mm coarse Graded Aggregate) sitting in between a bottom and top layer of Geotextile with sand above and then the pavers. Does it need that much aggregate? Thanks. 

Gravel is cheap, easy and good enough for big country houses. You could put a strip of setts or pavers at the threshold to stop gravel creep onto the highway. 

Edited by Jilly

Would love to but it's a semi detached and the noise depending on who buys the house and when they work might wake everyone up next door! Would be a good combination in a rural setting for sure. I have to live beside any fallout this might cause here though!