Octopus Smart Meter Display suddenly showing export rate

NSS

18 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

And that is why I pick up on it so often.

If this online community wants to be taken seriously, then a good start is to use correct terminology.

None talks about the joules when they talk about 'life energy', it is because they talk bollocks and can't count.

I wonder what happens at the start of a sentence?

Smart Meter installed, and after a couple of days has connected itself to the Octopus electrical service.

It turns out that mine is a Chameleon ID3 display unit, and that it displays the amount of electricity going through the meter in both directions - which when exporting gives me the *Net* amount of export. This is on the "Now" screen.

(Which means of course that I cannot disaggregate how much my house is actually using).

When exporting it displays a symbol of an arrow going into a pylon.

There is a chat about the symbol on the Bulb forums here:

https://community.bulb.co.uk/t/pylon-symbol-on-smart-meter-monitor/54932

This is the home screen appearance of the IHD3:

An Image of an IHD 3 Display

Interestingly Octopus have now started including Rishi's £400 in my payment balance estimates.

Apparently I will owe £900 more having received another £400. This does feel like future taxation policy. A difference of £1300.

(The Beta uses the extra 65% on prices from October by the look of it.)

Looks like I need to reduce my gas usage by 60-70% this winter. 

Before:

image.thumb.png.df00604daee9c67d9cb42d4f177572cb.png

After:

image.thumb.png.c0cdf51050c076425f58d2a8884c34b5.png

29 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Interestingly Octopus have now started including Rishi's £400 in my payment balance estimates.

Apparently I will owe £900 more having received another £400. This does feel like future taxation policy. A difference of £1300.

Odd that they show it reducing your monthly payment (implying your direct debit will go down when prices go up). It would surely make more sense for them to show your DD staying as-is and then take the £400 on top, would give a much more realistic picture and make the debt balance look a bit less scary.

Edited by andyscotland
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, andyscotland said:

Odd that they show it reducing your monthly payment (implying your direct debit will go down when prices go up). It would surely make more sense for them to show your DD staying as-is and then take the £400 on top, would give a much more realistic picture and make the debt balance look a bit less scary.

It's a bad mismatch with poor data, as my current value used is £40 not £67, and I aim to reduce my gas usage (quantity) by around 60% this winter compared to last. And my current payment is £65 not £137.

In Jan this year I had to recover a whole year's worth of electricity charges, as the estimates had been double for a year :-). I think they are misestimating the solar generation.

Since the Smart Meter went in, they know that I am only using about 90p a day of electric. The display still has to connect to the gas meter, and I may need to move it to the hall. I just stuck it outside for half an hour next to the meter to see if it will catch.

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

In Jan this year I had to recover a whole year's worth of electricity charges

Just checked my account, seems I am £0.75p in credit.  No sign of 400 quid in my account, but new bill is due end of August.

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

It's a bad mismatch with poor data, as my current value used is £40 not £67, and I aim to reduce my gas usage (quantity) by around 60% this winter compared to last. And my current payment is £65 not £137.

That is indeed poor data then!

• Like 1

Hmmm.

It is now 10 days since the Octopodule Smart Meter went in.

Elec is great, but gas has yet to connect - despite moving the Smart Display to within a few feet of the meter for some hours.

It also lists 2 gas meters, and is telling me my use is up by 1600 times since last week. Kinks to be ironed out, and I think I need to talk to them after the 2 week allowed from connection has expired.

image.thumb.png.b40fa1769218e668a7492c25c52702b7.png

Ferdinand

29 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Really should be called parasitic load.

Base load makes it sound acceptable.

80 W us almost 2 kWh a day.

Part of that is fridge and freezer, which are not parasitic.

But yes, needs a bit of further investigation.

And of course the solar is able to cover that during daylight for essentially the entire year.

Abracadabra now the parasitic load is only about 40W !

On 18/07/2022 at 16:10, SteamyTea said:

Very much not random.

The k is always lower case, the W always upper case, the h is usually lower case, but as it is not an SI, or even a derived unit, can be either. Convention has time as always lower case, so t for time, s for seconds. S, is allowed at the beginning of a sentence.

Indeed. If the unit symbol is named after a person it’s capitalised.