Treatment plant -> to Field Drain -> To Watercourse - Scotland.

Jenki

Hi All, I'm after a bit of brainstorming.

I've applied for a certificate for my (to be installed) treatment plant, the plan is the treatment plan will output to a 50M Rumbling drain, then into an existing  Underground Field drain (POINT C) - which ultimately goes to a burn or the sea(500M),

Background

There is a house (A) further away from me and the sea to the North , and at this point I'm assuming they may well use this same field drain, and a house to the South (B), closer to the sea.

The underground field drain seems to run past all properties North / South.

There are two Burns 1 to the East and 1 to the West but both of these are over single track roads and at least 300M from the drain.  It seems far fetched that this drain connects to either of these as the sea and cliffs are closer :(

SEPA are happy in principle with my discharge plan, but want a grid reference for the drain entering a suitable watercourse.

I've asked SEPA where A & B discharge, but the don't know because they got Hacked...

I'm off to site this week, and my plan is obviously to Ask new neighbours A & B, if they have any details, but my thought is they wont,  so brainstorming what should I do.

I was thinking of putting DYE at house A discharge point and see if this does indeed pass through this field drain past my proposed connection point.  but then what?

Follow this down towards the cliff and see if I can see the pipes? 

Any feedback would be great.

Cheers.

Drain.thumb.jpg.63c2381ad44ff2369b124f8023d4c1e9.jpg

Are there any unusually green spots recurring in aerial images? I can't see a 500m field drain being likely somehow...

So little water is involved that it's an irrelevance, frankly. Do you think SEPA are likely to survey based on your data? I'd be tempted to give them a random grid ref and carry on...

I take it this field drain is an open mostly dry ditch?

My experience was SEPA don't like that.  We got permission to discharge to the burn but only after measuring the flow rate at a dry time of year to work out the likely dilution rate, if it's dry a lot of the time there won't be any dilution.

Is there a proper flowing watercourse within reach?

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I take it this field drain is an open mostly dry ditch?

No, Its an underground pipe / field drain. 

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is there a proper flowing watercourse within reach?

the two Burns can be seen on the Far east and West of the image, but these are over roads and other peoples field - over 300M to the nearest.

18 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Are there any unusually green spots recurring in aerial images? I can't see a 500m field drain being likely somehow...

So little water is involved that it's an irrelevance, frankly. Do you think SEPA are likely to survey based on your data? I'd be tempted to give them a random grid ref and carry on...

Not Sure - they didn't like my grid ref of the field drain, they wanted a grid ref output to a water course. 

So is this field drain a solid pipe, perforated pipe?  Have you dug down to find it.

I can see SEPA's issue, you are asking to discharge to a pipe that you don't presently know where it ends up.  Do you even know which way it flows?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

So is this field drain a solid pipe, perforated pipe?  Have you dug down to find it.

I can see SEPA's issue, you are asking to discharge to a pipe that you don't presently know where it ends up.  Do you even know which way it flows?

has to flow South - to the coast due to the levels.  Clay pipe - I also understand their issue, more digging later this week- was after assistance locating the end of this pipe? other than dye and looking for it, 

A Sonde seems unlikely due to possible lengths.

If I can see Dye from Treatment plant A, at point C, then Dye At point B at least I'm shortening the distance?  

Edited by Jenki
typo

• 3 weeks later...

Just to Update this thread, and close it off.

Site investigations prove that this proposed drain is an original Rubble (field Drain) drain. that runs to the coastal cliffs

It was explained to me that before these fields were farmed and flatter, this would have been a natural watercourse for run off water, over many years farmers would plough the fields and fill these watercourses with stones from the ploughing, and eventually over many many years flatten the field with the run off water now running through the rubble underground.

My site has bed rock at varying levels from 250mm to 500mm from the surface, in general the ground falls North to south to the sea - 500m approx.

My proposal to SEPA was to run my Waste Treatment outlet through a 50M smooth perforated pipe Rubble drain , then discharge to this rubble drain. 

I have given them my best estimate off discharge to the sea, this came from talking with the locals / and some walking around the cliff edge..

Ultimately  SEPA have accepted my proposal, and I now have a certificate to discharge. 

• Like 1