Heads-up: 12kW ecodans on eBay

I can't find the relevant 'bargains' thread to post this into, so mods, please remove/move if this is the wrong place.

It looks like someone has some new, 12kW Ecodans for sale: 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/185396297230?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=xznxbegYQBq&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Not sure what other parts are required to get the running, I assume an FTC5 controller but I'm not sure about what's inside the box that normally gets attached to the UVC in Ecodan installs...

3 available / 5 sold.

Ex demo/display.

Curious why anyone had 8 identical demo models sat around. It's not like you get chain stores with these things on display.

It's a monobloc so you need:

- FTC6.

- isolator switch

- primary circulation pump.

- flow sensor

- filter 

- expansion vessel

- prv.

- fill/drain port.

- anti freeze value (or glycol)

And stuff depending on the system design, e.g. electronic mixing valve, manifold, low loss header, 2 position diverter valve, uvc, etc etc..

Edited by joth

9 hours ago, joth said:

It's a monobloc so you need:

- FTC6.

- isolator switch

- primary circulation pump.

- flow sensor

- filter 

- expansion vessel

- prv.

- fill/drain port.

- anti freeze value (or glycol)

And stuff depending on the system design, e.g. electronic mixing valve, manifold, low loss header, 2 position diverter valve, uvc, etc etc..

Thanks, I knew it probably ran an external circ pump but didn’t know about the external flow switch.

Is there an indoor unit PCB that’s also required (that’s usually installed in the square box on the uvc)?

Either my Google-fu is bad this week, or there isn’t much data out there.

1 hour ago, HughF said:

Thanks, I knew it probably ran an external circ pump but didn’t know about the external flow switch.

Yah and the flow switch is bit of a bugger for commissioning - any air trapped in it will shut the system down. Ours is technically installed out of MI guides to (has to be a certain way up and not near any other hydronic perturbations). 

1 hour ago, HughF said:

Is there an indoor unit PCB that’s also required (that’s usually installed in the square box on the uvc)?

Yes - that's exactly what the FTC6 controller is. A PCB in a metal box.

The FTC6 installation manual is probably the most comprehensive guide to all the parts needed.

You'll also need a bunch of thermistors depending on the design - zone flow/return sensors, UVC sensor, etc.

I presume some of those come with the FTC6 but certainly not all.

I need a replacement UVC stat and an additional buffer tank stat, so if you figure out how to order these parts let me know!

4 hours ago, joth said:

Yah and the flow switch is bit of a bugger for commissioning - any air trapped in it will shut the system down. Ours is technically installed out of MI guides to (has to be a certain way up and not near any other hydronic perturbations). 

Yes - that's exactly what the FTC6 controller is. A PCB in a metal box.

The FTC6 installation manual is probably the most comprehensive guide to all the parts needed.

You'll also need a bunch of thermistors depending on the design - zone flow/return sensors, UVC sensor, etc.

I presume some of those come with the FTC6 but certainly not all.

I need a replacement UVC stat and an additional buffer tank stat, so if you figure out how to order these parts let me know!

Gotcha, I thought the FTC6 was just the small control panel, I didn't realise that there was a separate PCB and more stuff required. 

I have since found the FTC manual which is quite detailed. 

yeah the small LCD control panel is called the "remote control" or something. Yeah, you'll need one of those too 🙂 (I assume it's bundled with the FTC, no idea)

Really I'd say best contact the ebay seller and ask them all this. Also confirm it is Inc VAT. (It's against ebay terms for it not to be)

19 minutes ago, joth said:

yeah the small LCD control panel is called the "remote control" or something. Yeah, you'll need one of those too 🙂 (I assume it's bundled with the FTC, no idea)

Really I'd say best contact the ebay seller and ask them all this. Also confirm it is Inc VAT. (It's against ebay terms for it not to be)

They've all sold now, along with the 5kW unit they had. I think the remote control is bundled with the FTC, from what I can tell from the manual. I asked them if they had any FTC units and they said that all they had were the monoblock units, and they didn't know what the FTC unit was.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, HughF said:

They've all sold now, along with the 5kW unit they had.

Phew that's a relief.😅

I was very tempted by the 5kW one when I went through their listings but I've got a rule about not buying anything over a couple of hundred quid on ebay. Maybe I'm too paranoid but the number of times ebay bargains have turned out to be useless in one way or another makes me just too suspicious.

23 minutes ago, Radian said:

but I've got a rule about not buying anything over a couple of hundred quid on ebay.

I bought mine on  EBay fir £850, brand new still on a pallet, yes it was worth a punt and has proved very worthwhile.

I was pretty tempted. I have a pretty good idea what our heating and hot water demand should be once we've finished the renovation (approx. 8kw) but until it's physically done (or at least nearer to it). I didn't want to risk it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

I bought mine on  EBay fir £850, brand new still on a pallet, yes it was worth a punt and has proved very worthwhile.

That's great! I think we all have our own particular 'thresholds of pain' and for me it's around a couple of hundred quid - which it seems it has always been, which is odd now I come to think about it. It may be that my income has fallen in step with the half-life of money.

3 minutes ago, Radian said:

I think we all have our own particular 'thresholds of pain' and for me it's around a couple of hundred quid -

With Ebay so many items are now sold by companies, not joe public and that makes a difference (IMO).

I guess there's an opportunity to dispose of goods that can't be sold as new stock, with bits missing - perhaps I should be more adventureous.

I often lament the idea of serviceable/easily repairable stuff going into a skip. This happened recently when I bought a signal generator on Amazon and it had an illuminated button that didn't light up. I knew it would be an easy repair but having just shelled out a couple of hundred quid for it I sent it back. Almost guaranteed it will end up as unnecessary E-waste.

4 hours ago, Radian said:

Phew that's a relief.😅

I was very tempted by the 5kW one when I went through their listings but I've got a rule about not buying anything over a couple of hundred quid on ebay. Maybe I'm too paranoid but the number of times ebay bargains have turned out to be useless in one way or another makes me just too suspicious.

Some of my best purchases to date have been through eBay , and all at least 4 figures :)

Another seller has a packaged 5kW system complete with a 150ltr cylinder, again on eBay. I’m sure you can find it.

My calcs suggest I need 6.6kW with the current building fabric, I’m probably going to get an 8-9kW unit.