Scaffolding Quotes

I'm just about to start getting quotes in for our scaffolding but keen to avoid appearing too naïve! I'm really not sure how to expect the quote to be broken down and what's going to push the price up.  Also keen to avoid hefty charges for over-runs so would like to get this sorted from the start.

We have a two-storey brick & block build, but the total perimeter is quite long and there's an adjoining single-storey section, so it's probably not the simplest job.  Bricklayers are obviously expecting multiple lifts as the walls go up, and then the scaffolding remains an wall plate level whilst the roofing is done.

Should I be expecting the scaffolder to quote for each visit they make to do the next lift or make modifications?  Plus an ongoing hire charge for the length of time the scaffold is on-site?  Or something else?  Are regular H&S inspections visits whilst the scaffold is in use typically included, or should I be requesting this separately?

Yes we brought ours as self building is unpredictable. In the past the scaffolders quote for the number of lifts and the estimated time with a weekly / monthly overrun price. Never had one with an under run discount though😁. The thing to avoid is piecemeal call backs - IE small unplanned mods to the scaffold. A late scafolder of my acquaintance said that the most piecemeal changes came at window fitting because people were not clear about where / How high & big they were at the outset and then it was when the groundworkers wanted to dig a new trench because some customer wanted the loo pipe moved.

On 30/04/2022 at 16:33, BadgerBadger said:

Should I be expecting the scaffolder to quote for each visit they make to do the next lift or make modifications?  Plus an ongoing hire charge for the length of time the scaffold is on-site?  Or something else?  Are regular H&S inspections visits whilst the scaffold is in use typically included, or should I be requesting this separately?

Ask for a price including 2 lifts (assuming you have gables ..?) and then a price for modifications. Ask for 12 weeks initially then what the weekly price is. 

And who does H&S inspections..? As long as it’s tagged and not modified then it will be fine. 

And with brick and block expect it to be built in (ie putlogs in the brickwork) and not free standing as that will add about 30% to the price. 

• Like 1

As PeterW.

BUT it is always worth asking for several quotes.

Some scaffolders  charge mostly as if it was a hire..ie how many weeks.

Others charge mostly based on the work involved.

And all variations in-between.

Never accept a per m or m2 price, as the method of measurement can be unclear, or they make it bigger and charge more.

• 5 weeks later...

I had a price with no time limit agreed. Turns out the scaffolding co decided I had it too long and said they were going to take it down. So ended up having to agree to pay them per week extra!!! Just really a bit of caution for you. Not a lot you can do about crap like that unless you want to waste time and risk bigger dramas with lawyers etc

• Like 1