MVHR Designers

Hi all,

Wonder if anybody can offer a suggestion. I've looked at a number of companies/people who offer a MVHR system design including noise and airflow modeling. What I want to do is pay for a design, and then shop around for parts and retrofit myself to my house.

However, everybody I've found so far insists on my buying all the components from them directly which I'm not keen to do for the obvious cost implications.

BPC offer designs but not noise modeling. Am I better off just using a BPC design and fitting in two big metal silencers like this: https://www.bpcventilation.com/attenuator-silencer

or something else?

I dont think my house is that complex and a lot of the runs will be in limited locations, its mostly flow and noise that I want the design for rather thaan pipe routing?

Any ideaas?

Design it yourself?  Keep flow velocity low, semi flex duct and plenum/manifold.  Silencer between MVHR and plenum.

Keep MVHR unit central so duct runs are as equal/short as possible.  Specify MVHR unit one size up from your target boost flow rate.

Extract air out of wet rooms, supply it to dry rooms.  Supply and extract flows match overall.

I wouldn't be too concerned on the noise front. I designed/fitted my own system and aside from following 'good practice' along the lines that JohnMo touched on (I'd add isolation mounting for the unit) and didn't put any extra effort on the noise side and the result is silent. Not just 'silent' like a dishwasher or fridge manufacturer might say when they actually mean 'quite enough' or 'quieter than others' I mean, literally, you can't hear it. Sure, when boosting you can hear air flow but only if you tune into it and it's not something I would wish being any different (and certainly not something I'd be willing to pay any money for reducing further).

Edit: I only fitted a silencer on the supply side but I do recall at least one other saying they ended up fitting one on the extract too and it gave a beneficial effect. Not sure why we didn't have any requirement for mitigation their whereas they didn't, particularly noting I've got a very short run for one of the extracts and so wouldn't have been too surprised if I had heard fan noise through that one.

Edited by MJNewton