Attaching canopy to timber stud with bolts - how? Glue the bolt?

Could do with a bit of guidance from the great people here 🙂 

How do you secure a bolts in to a timber stud for a canopy?

I've bought my entrance-door canopy (to comply with Part M, stock photo below), which takes 3x bolts for each of its two brackets.

I am wondering how to attach the canopy in to the timber stud to above my entrance door. 

• I will be screwing into a triple stud of 45 x 240 structural timber.
  • The fixings will go through the cladding (brackets > brick slips 15mm > backing board 10mm > batten 19mm > sheathing 9mm).

I am thinking of stainless m8 boltsfor a strong fixing into the studwork: 120mm, countersunk stainless steel.

Do I glue in the bolt in to the stud?

Any help much appreciated.

image.thumb.png.e539b932ac9a07ca8edc2de4198e1719.png

Think you want bolts that have a wood thread one end and a nut thread the other. You lock two nuts together to act as a head to screw it I to the wood then remove the nuts, fit bracket and use nuts to secure it. Cut off excess. Should be stainless steel.

See if others have better idea.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

Coach bolts is what you are looking for.  Big wood screws with a hex, or sometimes square head.  Probably best to drill a small pilot hole to make them easier to screw in straight, and definitely a larger pilot hole through the brick slips and backing board.

They look perfect if the heads fit the brackets.

I would buy a few spares and drill holes in some scrap wood of same type to work out what pilot hole to use on the real thing. Don't want them to be so tight you shear off a head when in the wall.