New member on a self build journey

Jeannie

After buying our first and only property over 26 years ago, and fully renovating it, my husband & I have decided to to start a self build project.  We are lucky to have land beside us, which we were granted planning permission.  The single storey new build is designed with my daughter in mind, who has severe learning difficulties.  This will give her some independence whilst we can watch and care for her, as well as everything on one level.

Our Building Warrant should be through in the next week or so, and it feels very exciting to start this project as well as a bit daunting, especially as materials are more expensive than pre-Brexit and probably pre-COVID. 

As we are going to project manage it ourselves, any tips or starting off pointers would be very welcome.

FUL-PROPOSED_GROUND_FLOOR_PLAN.pdf

• Like 2

Hi and welcome.

This forum is definitely a great place to get help, advice and support by the bucketful. A very worthy project, and we'll all be glad to help wherever we can.

1 hour ago, Jeannie said:

any tips or starting off pointers would be very welcome

I think the best advice I can give at this time would be to consider a turnkey foundation and frame supplier, with guarantees for quality and standards incorporated in the price. This would take you straight to a weathertight shell, and put you in a position where you may feel more comfortable as PM's with a very fast turnaround time.

All depends if you're looking at the journey or the destination ;) 

Hi. And we are another 40???? miles south. Good luck.

Allow plenty of time. Our building warrant 'should' have been through 6 weeks ago but goes back week by week.

Ask away on specifics.

What has surprised me...

Timber is not cheaper even though there are forests and timber mills all around.

Websites of companies are poor, and response is slow.

We are not greeted with any enthusiasm by potential suppliers...'tell us what you want and we will price it'

Prices are not fixed for long because of all the Brexit/energy/Putin stuff.

'Free next day delivery anywhere in the UK' means sometime next week and an extra £60.

Skilled labour rates are high.

Positives

How relaxed and friendly people are.

The properly fresh air.

Quarry stone is very high quality and better value.

Work ethic is good, as is pride in the job......mostly.

Not as wet a climate as is generally thought.

My mantra for economy in the process  is not just getting discounts, but avoiding over-design and any waste.

And it is worth getting a good relationship with a handy builders' merchant who delivers without any questions on order size/access etc.