Re-boarding the loft (this time so I don't squash the insulation)

HughF

One of the first jobs my now-wife got me to do around the place when I showed up 12 years ago was board out half of the loft. Being younger and stupid(er) I boarded over half the insulation. As I start to look at improving the insulation around this place, to try and reduce the amount of heat we leak away, I want to lift and re-lay all this insulation and boarding, topping up where necessary. 

Obviously, being a super-competent DIY mastermind and genius metal fabricator, I'm not going to entertain buying loft legs from B&Q and am looking at making something up.

I'm considering using metal C stud (given current timber prices, I've worked with it before) to make up some trusses, then running these at 90 deg to the current joists, then putting new boards over the top.

Has anyone done anything similar, or have any better ideas on how I can tackle this?

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

My suggestion would be - Go to B&Q (or other similar outlet) and pick up loft legs.

Less thermal bridging than metal, less time, sometimes life is just too short.

I can't really explain why, but I don't like the idea of those either. My best shot at an explanation would be that it puts concentrated point loads on chipboard flooring sheets that are barely satisfactory with continuous support from joists on a typical 600mm pitch. @JohnMo I want to believe though - please persuade me!

Edited by Radian