Don't worry, nobody's gonna know ...

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I suspect that when the Intelligence Test started there was a lot of criticism about what it actually meant, and what it was actually assessing.  It is very hard to compare 'things' that are assessed on different criteria, and the poxy social sciences thrive on mixing unrelated units and using it to make a model that fits the data.

You're going to me started on method and methodology here - especially when it comes to qualitative/quantitative research. It's one of my pet hates in psychology where it is so common to try to convert what is qualitative into a quantitative value as if that gives it more standing - take a Cognitive & Behavioural Therapy question that asks a client to rate an emotion from 1 - 10, or asking someone who is depressed how many times they've had a negative thought in the last 7 days. There are plenty of qualitative methods that can be used to great effect and provide reliable results, but the problem is they're more challenging.

What I like about the papers you link to is their explicit acknowledgement of context and how emotions are context dependent. In my work I've spent countless hours with senior people helping them to untangle their emotions because they've been taught their emotions are just 'theirs' but when they finally articulate the context, only then does it start to make proper sense for them and those they work with. If you just consider the emotion seperately from context, it loses so much of its meaning, but also falsely gives us the impression we feel and behave independently of our environment.

For me, the field of EI has been so unfortunatley sloppily defined and conceptualised, but also it has attempted to reduce the nature of human relationships down to a mechanistic process based on competencies and 'factors,' whereas true human relationships really do tend to be much more emergent and unsurprisingly, more down to feeling your way about them!

49 minutes ago, SimonD said:

You're going to me started on method and methodology here - especially when it comes to qualitative/quantitative research. It's one of my pet hates in psychology where it is so common to try to convert what is qualitative into a quantitative value as if that gives it more standing

It is how conspiracy theories start.

People that truly believe that the earth is flat, or the moon landings never happened can happily be ignored as oddballs. But when that spills over into public policy, miss using scientific methods, it becomes very dangerous.

Anti vaccination, climate change and war have the same casualties, the truth.

I had the misfortune to lecture statistics to a group of second year social science students.  That really highlighted the difference between them, and real science students.

I should have realised because of their own personal backgrounds/histories i.e. drugs, child abuse, gambling  etc, they saw the tails of a normal distribution as the important part, because it includes them. To them, the other 97.5% of the chart was an irrelevance.

Edited by SteamyTea

24 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

It is how conspiracy theories start.

24 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

To them, the other 97.5% of the chart was an irrelevance.

You probably know then how many psychological studies, which form the basis of so much psychology theory, are based upon a rather limited demographic (western, white, middle class university students) with context removed as far as is possible? At some point, there is going to be an unravelling of this, or at least I hope so.

2 minutes ago, SimonD said:

You probably know then how many psychological studies, which form the basis of so much psychology theory, are based upon a rather limited demographic (western, white, middle class university students) with context removed as far as is possible

White, educated, upper middle class lecturers.

Context is removed to protect the guilty.

As it is published knowledge I can mention one of the students. A rather gobby, late 20s, heroin addict. Like most heroin addicts she used methadone to top up her habit. She lived the usual squatters life, worked as a prostitute, and stole from all her friends.

For some reason the senior course tutor convinced her she was Cambridge material and got herself on a Doctorate program. Then the trouble really started. She stole from her family until they were bankrupt and somehow ended up in jail for fraud.

What made me smile was her attitude to others, she thought she was invincible. 

"Nothing you say can upset me". Bet the judge saying she is going to prison did.

Ian, leaving aside the sloppy tradesman issue which would have truly pissed off even the most saintly of us 😤 There is a separate point about how you could mitigate finding yourself in this situation – that is you have difficulty in using conventional drivers + PZ type screws which require a coordinate down pressure and anticlockwise torque to remove the screw.  A couple of suggestions:

• Have you tried using a decent cordless impact screwdriver?  There is a decent selection on Amazon, Screwfix, etc. from ~£70 up. These can shift most screws and can be used twohanded, and a 150mm or 300mm extension bit can help you position it.
  • Are the T bar style manual drivers easier for you?
  • Lastly have you got a screw extractor set? Using them is a bit of a knack, but at worse they enable you remove the head so you can remove the clamped (wood) piece without outward damage.  The remaining stub can often be unscrewed with decent locking grip pliers.

I realise that you may have already tried some of these, but they might just help mitigate your disability.

Edited by TerryE

6 minutes ago, TerryE said:

• Have you tried using a decent cordless impact screwdriver?  There is a decent selection on Amazon, Screwfix, etc. from ~£70 up. These can shift most screws and can be used twohanded, and a 150mm or 300mm extension bit can help you position it.
  • Are the T bar style manual drivers easier for you?
  • Lastly have you got a screw extractor set? Using them is a bit of a knack, but at worse they enable you remove the head so you can remove the clamped (wood) piece without outward damage.  The remaining stub can often be unscrewed with decent locking grip pliers.

• Festool 18V cordless : couple of Bosches - now much abused (one 18, one 12 V) 
  • T Bar: NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT . Thanks
  • Screw extractor? Yes, but its been nicked

Link to a decent T Bar manual driver please ! 

Is this what you mean?

19 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Screw extractor? Yes, but its been nicked

No excuse.  You can get a replacement in 24hrs from Amazon, Scewfix, etc. 🤣 Doing this would have probably saved you effort in the long run.

19 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Link to a decent T Bar manual driver please !  Is this what you mean?

I don't have one now so I can't personally recommend one, but a friend used to swear by them.  There are various profiles; using t handle screwdriver as the search on Amazon gives a good selection of the alternatives.  I suspect some would be worse for someone with Dupuytren's and some better.  I think that this is a case for using your own knowledge and try it to see.

The 300mm extension piece can also be really useful as this can allow a 2-handed grip in most situations

Edited by TerryE
  • Thanks 1