Can the local council change the reason for objection?

broadex

My planning application to develop a piece of land into 3 houses was approved by the planning commission. 

However, the local council originally put out an objection on the basis that the development will “increase traffic” to the road which was quite odd given the road is a main road used by many counties and over 10k user every day; and the plan was to add 3 houses. Nonetheless the Plans were approved by the Planning Commission.

A neighbour has appealed on the basis that he is not happy with the access road and will compromise the safety.

The local council has now added a statement of appeal supporting my neighbour and has stated that “we have now changed the reason for the objection from ‘increase in traffic on roads’ to ‘compromise safe access’.

Is this allowed to change the reason for objection at appeal stage (when original objection was based on something else)?

25 minutes ago, broadex said:

My planning application to develop a piece of land into 3 houses was approved by the planning commission.

For clarity, do you mean your council's planning committee?

24 minutes ago, broadex said:

A neighbour has appealed on the basis that he is not happy with the access road and will compromise the safety.

Appealed to whom?  

14 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

upload the original, or copy the text and paste it into a post) your Planning Permission

But not your personal  or project details unless you are happy for the whole world to know. This discussion is findable in a web search, say using the address.

As Jack says, please explain the parties.

It would be normal for the District or Borough council to be the planning authority. It usually only goes to formal committee if there are objections.

objections could be from persons or the Parish Council or the County council.

if you could clarify then this will help a lot.

7 hours ago, broadex said:

However, the local council originally put out an objection on the basis that the development will “increase traffic” to the road which was quite odd given the road is a main road used by many counties and over 10k user every day; and the plan was to add 3 houses. Nonetheless the Plans were approved by the Planning Commission.

The local council has now added a statement of appeal supporting my neighbour and has stated that “we have now changed the reason for the objection from ‘increase in traffic on roads’ to ‘compromise safe access’.

Is this allowed to change the reason for objection at appeal stage (when original objection was based on something else)?

Which country are you in? 

This forum is mostly for UK members and in the UK its nearly impossible for anyone to get planning permission overturned once it's been approved.