Kitchen, dining, den layout help

Tadpole

The planning passport for our custom build collides with our aspirations in the "big room across the back." I'm trying to plan how we use this space, in truth trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

There's just us two active retirees with family nearby who will pop in, mother-in-law who stays for a few weeks at a time, plus visitors from afar. The overall dimensions of this space are as shown (drawn by me from our designers proper drawing). The bifolds (SWMBO decision) across the back face the back garden which faces SE. Feedback from here might help one of them to be sliding doors instead. I'm the main cook and would like a recirculating induction hob in a 'generous' island. I'm aware of the 1m recommendation for space between island and facing units and I've been used to 800mm in the past. As drawn the island seems to be rather wide to be usefully used when cooking and when eating. If we can manage our finances well enough the fridge freezer will be the Liebherr pair (ouch! but lovely). The dining table is 1830x910 and we would ideally like to keep it. The Velux are in a sloping roof. The space in the corner of the kitchen is to make space for a shower in the cloakroom. We also have a sitting room and hobby room (cum disabled bedroom if required) on the ground floor.

It's our habit to watch TV together in the colder months while I cook, then after clearing up we sometimes stay in the same space and sometimes migrate to the sitting room.

I think our desires are (in roughly this order):

- clearly segregated sitting area - we plan wet UFH with porcelain wood plank tiles throughout this area and hall and utility

- generous / statement island or L shape with seating for 3 minimum or 4 preferable; recirc induction hob plus maybe a small prep sink

- don't want to waste space but do want to leave some space so it doesn't feel crowded

- TV visible from sofa and from kitchen (currently 55" which I can see OK from 5m)

- if possible space for a seat by one of the bifolds where I can watch the birds, read or snooze

That's about it I think. All suggestions will be very welcome.

thanks

kitchen-dining-den v1.pdf

The external walls look nice and thick.

The bifolds opening into the kitchen cause an obstruction.  Sliders are easier to open and the lift and slide type are very good for airtightness, where bifolds are not.

The TV will be much too far to view from the kitchen.

The island looks a bit odd.  I can't work out what the extra 600mm worktop behind the hob is for and to get to the units by the overhang you would need to move the chairs / stools.

There is a lot of glazing and the room could easily overheat in the mornings.  Make sure this is properly modelled and mitigated.

If you're going bifolds, make sure they open outwards.  Personally, I would ditch them and opt for 2-pane sliders.  What do you think to kitchen islands with bench seating, like this:

image.png.7f025d43c10d0a8c304eef6aab831854.png

It could work in your kitchen layout and would mean you could merge the island/dining areas for a larger island, more seating whilst retaining the feeling of space?  Mocked it up quickly, something like:

1040197781_Buildhub-2.Floor-2DFloorPlan.thumb.jpg.c7291e531de6d9aa48336d8f79a925b9.jpg

104373572_Buildhub-2.Floor-3DFloorPlan.thumb.jpg.df0e4f08443b587a5cb21509b7f4d875.jpg

1584692773_Buildhub-3DPhoto3.thumb.jpg.9a9627fd6b64aaded7ff922ef1b84630.jpg1871193733_Buildhub-3DPhoto.thumb.jpg.5c50dcea411d31e40776ed3b40f98219.jpg463566496_Buildhub-3DPhoto2.thumb.jpg.860265504e34dd7b94990ff2001e94b4.jpg

4 minutes ago, MrMagic said:

@SBMS What software did you use to knock that up? Looks fantastic - I like the concept of a merged island/seating.. just a shame the example image is from the 1970s 🤣

Haha I know, there’s some much better examples from google! I use roomsketcher. It’s probably not the best but it’s really easy to use for a novice designer!

It’s the design we are going for in our kitchen as we had a pillar in the middle, being 10m long so was best way to incorporate it. 

• Like 1