Sealing cement board and other short term suggestions please

My builder (one man band) has to have some time off for a cardiac procedure (he's a bit scared, poor chap), and of course I'm sympathetic whilst simultaneously having a big panic.

We have to move in at the end of the month and nothing is quite finished. I'm scared Building Control are going to rock up and arrest us.

The shower over bath has cement board, is there a way to seal it so it will be waterproof and yet still ok to tile when he gets round to it? We could have baths to minimise splashing.

I'm struggling with the fact that 'kitchen' seems like 'wedding' and doubles the price of a very modest bit of MDF

The kitchen hasn't arrived, so the electrics are not completed (so no certificate yet). Is it ok to move in?

The LPG was apparently certified but I wasn't given a copy, is that normal that one copy goes to BC and none to the owner? It doesn't seem right.

Haven't done a water usage calculation because have got all the info yet

2 hours ago, Jilly said:

My builder (one man band) has to have some time off for a cardiac procedure (he's a bit scared, poor chap), and of course I'm sympathetic whilst simultaneously having a big panic.

We have to move in at the end of the month and nothing is quite finished. I'm scared Building Control are going to rock up and arrest us.

The shower over bath has cement board, is there a way to seal it so it will be waterproof and yet still ok to tile when he gets round to it? We could have baths to minimise splashing.

I'm struggling with the fact that 'kitchen' seems like 'wedding' and doubles the price of a very modest bit of MDF

The kitchen hasn't arrived, so the electrics are not completed (so no certificate yet). Is it ok to move in?

The LPG was apparently certified but I wasn't given a copy, is that normal that one copy goes to BC and none to the owner? It doesn't seem right.

Haven't done a water usage calculation because have got all the info yet

You will need a sink, and a cooker, plus some worktop to be habitable.

The LPG should have been done by a Gas Safe Registered installer, so you should be able to find that online. The norm is for the GSR'd fitter to register online and simply forward an electronic link to both you and the BCO. Same with electrical.

If the kitchen is completely absent, you cannot officially be moving in, or practically tbh. 

Hot water? LPG combi? No hot water no moving in.

CO1 and smoke detection system working? If not, you're not moving in.

For shower, just buy 2 cheap disposable shower curtains from Wiko's and you're done.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

In England you can move in whenever you like unless there is a planning condition requiring certain works to be be done before occupation.

My clients in Oxford couldn’t, but as you say perhaps that was a planning issue.

I struggle to comprehend how ‘they’ can let ‘you’ move into a house that does not have basic amenities and safety systems / electrical etc not installed and certified. Seems open to abuse.

Does remind me of one architect, who designed and built his own SIPs passive ( certified ) house, where I went out to survey for a full M&E install, and he said “we’ve been ok without heating, hot water and ventilation as we’ve only ‘just’ moved in”. 
A quick glance around told me they’d been in for a year or two minimum. 😐

Viva 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 !!

• Like 1