Tiling bathroom

Hi all, after reading on the tiling forum I have come to the conclusion that my two upstairs bathrooms set on 600 centres posi joist and 22mm caberdek should have been 400 centres and a totally different floor finish. Like WPB

Am I correct in thinking this?

1, I’m hoping to lay two large linear formers 1500x900 was looking at the tough x Maybe someone could recommend a better one, do they all perform as good as each other and ease of tiling?

2, Our posi joist top chords are 47mm deep, should I fully fill that with ply to support the former?

3, What’s the Best material to lay over caberdek and what’s the best way to reduce any floor deflection and best materials for tiling on?

4, Our plasterer has said to plasterboard and skim both bathrooms and tile onto that, as that’s what he does on every job. Would we be better off using a backer board and tanking kits where needed? What would a tiler prefer to work on to give the best results?

James

What's the size of the bathroom? Adding ply to the top won't really help with deflection if the joists are undersized at 600 c/c.

Regarding the last point, if you're planning on using any form of heavy tiles, then skimming ANYTHING is not a good idea. I'd use cement board or (I personally prefer) Wedi or Marmox boards every time from now on, regardless of the wall substrate. Super easy to work with and excellent to tile onto + easy to tank.

1 hour ago, James94 said:

Hi all, after reading on the tiling forum I have come to the conclusion that my two upstairs bathrooms set on 600 centres posi joist and 22mm caberdek should have been 400 centres and a totally different floor finish. Like WPB

Am I correct in thinking this?

1, I’m hoping to lay two large linear formers 1500x900 was looking at the tough x Maybe someone could recommend a better one, do they all perform as good as each other and ease of tiling?

2, Our posi joist top chords are 47mm deep, should I fully fill that with ply to support the former?

3, What’s the Best material to lay over caberdek and what’s the best way to reduce any floor deflection and best materials for tiling on?

4, Our plasterer has said to plasterboard and skim both bathrooms and tile onto that, as that’s what he does on every job. Would we be better off using a backer board and tanking kits where needed? What would a tiler prefer to work on to give the best results?

James

Your absolutely fine tiling onto 600 centres You can either use a 6 mil cement board or a lightweight Bedded down then screwed down 

I usually stick Ditra matting directly to the caber deck 

One of the rooms is 4.2x2.4 and the other is 2.25x3m The rooms don’t have to much deflection,so no need to use ply wood.

Im not going to be tiling these myself but I want to get the substrate correct for when it’s ready to tile. I’m going to contact plasterer to see if he can just price for ceilings and I’ll board the rest in a cement board.

If the joist at 600centres are ok what will the laying cement board do? 

When you say stick ditra direct to caber deck is this as well as using cement board or ditra and tiles? I’m just trying to get my head round the build up of the materials so I have a good understanding of the process and will enable me to get the shower former to the correct height.

Regards. James

• 4 months later...

We decided to use moisture resistant boards, tank it and tile onto that, but there was some confusion when the boarders came last week and they’ve used normal plasterboard as shown in the photo below. Will this be ok when tanked or Should I ask them to swap it out for the moisture resistant?

james

072E13ED-917B-42D6-B9A1-3CCB37F046D2.jpeg

• 1 year later...