Jump to content

Laying P5 to edge of stairwell - leave a gap or not?


Recommended Posts

I've almost finished with the joists for our landing area and P5 is next.

We have minimal detail for our stairs other than the opening size, turns etc., so have been looking around at landing construction.

I'm still unsure if I should lay the P5 to the edge of the stairwell trimmer or leave a gap at the edge for landing nosing and the like?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It can depend on your proposed floor finishes eg if you have wood on top you may want nosing in the same material.  I guess you can always lay it to the edge and cut back if required.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I left that last section of P5 to be fitted after the stair was in.  Cut it over sized but don't glue it, and trim to size when you have the stairs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

It can depend on your proposed floor finishes eg if you have wood on top you may want nosing in the same material.  I guess you can always lay it to the edge and cut back if required.

 

Glue and screw everything except the trimmer edge. Cut back if required and glue and screw the edge just before installing the handrail.

I like this idea.

 

 

58 minutes ago, joe90 said:

It also depends if you want carpet on the stairs and how the stairs finish at the top, it’s all in the planning.

 

We've only looked a rough ideas for stairs. What we end up with will be heavily determined by how much budget we have left overspent

 

25 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I left that last section of P5 to be fitted after the stair was in.  Cut it over sized but don't glue it, and trim to size when you have the stairs.

 

All of the P5 boards will be end on to the stair opening, and connect through to the adjoining rooms. If I went with this option I'd probably be better not installing the boards just yet.

 

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll think about them whilst fitting the noggins.

 

Edited by Digmixfill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Digmixfill said:

All of the P5 boards will be end on to the stair opening, and connect through to the adjoining rooms. If I went with this option I'd probably be better not installing the boards just yet.

I was thinking more of where the top of the stair lands, leave that bit off.

 

The P5 adjoining the side of the stairwell, leave a little over size so it overhangs the edge slightly and trim in situ with a circular saw when you know where it needs cutting to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...