Reinstatment of Permitted Development Rights.

KFT

I have, after my LPA's five-month procrastination, regained the PDR on a small piece of land behind my house.  I should like to thank all those who posed questions and/or answered them here - all most enlightening.

The land is a long strip behind several houses, sections of which were conveyed to individual houses, and although at that time, its description was changed from "amenity land" to "garden land",  PDR was removed.  Thus, each "garden" could not be fenced off for privacy and security.

I have now been asked by a neighbour whether his and the other affected properties will automatically regain PDR without application and I wonder if anyone here would have the answer to that question. 

I know the obvious course of action would be to ask the LPA but I thought that somebody here might be able to provide the answer in less than five months!

3 hours ago, CharlieKLP said:

I think your PD would only apply to your plot. 

The removal seems like it was a ridiculous one the council probably can’t justify, maybe they could appeal it not sure how long ago it was.

Thank you, CharlieKLP - that's what I'd have thought but LPA's do seem to have different thought processes from real human beings, don't they?

The removal was in 2018 and my application for reinstatement was only last year so I'd gathered that it was too late to appeal (if not, I've wasted a couple of hundred pounds!)

2 hours ago, Temp said:

I think I would investigate the possibility of neighbours making one combined application to restore PDR.

Thank you, Temp, I hadn't thought of that- I can certainly suggest that to the neighbour who asked the question.

I'd have hesitated to try that when I made my application as a couple of owners have flouted the condition and might be afraid of being found out!

1 hour ago, KFT said:

Thank you, Temp, I hadn't thought of that- I can certainly suggest that to the neighbour who asked the question.

I'd have hesitated to try that when I made my application as a couple of owners have flouted the condition and might be afraid of being found out!

Occurs to me that wind and solar farm applications frequently cover land under more than one ownership so should be possible.

36 minutes ago, Temp said:

Occurs to me that wind and solar farm applications frequently cover land under more than one ownership so should be possible.

My first house was a developer new build. Not long after moving it, it became clear that there was a strip of land about 5ft wide beyond the back fence that was ours, so I wanted to move the fence (an extra 5ft of garden is a lot when your garden is only 30ft long)  It was a terraced house and all the houses in the row owned their bit of this extra strip.

So collectively we submitted one planning application to move the fence of all the properties (it needed planning as it was >1M tall and adjoined a highway)  Planning was granted and over a weekend we collectively relocated the fence.

11 hours ago, Temp said:

Ah, I didn't know that but I found out that this troublesome strip of land had been previously owned jointly by all of the adjoining properties and PDR was only removed when it was divided into individual ownerships. This was just prior to my buying this house and, sadly, our conveyancer didn't deem it necessary to inform me of that fact!

Yes, I know I should have pursued them about that and I did try but it just added to the stress of moving and I had to back off.

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

My first house was a developer new build. Not long after moving it, it became clear that there was a strip of land about 5ft wide beyond the back fence that was ours, so I wanted to move the fence (an extra 5ft of garden is a lot when your garden is only 30ft long)  It was a terraced house and all the houses in the row owned their bit of this extra strip.

So collectively we submitted one planning application to move the fence of all the properties (it needed planning as it was >1M tall and adjoined a highway)  Planning was granted and over a weekend we collectively relocated the fence.

That sounds like a very smooth process, ProDave - I wonder if your LPA is somewhat less obstrutive than ours!  The conditions they applied when the land was divided up even included what was and what wasn't allowed to be planted in our extra pieces of garden.  These are rear gardens that back on to an area of scrubland and the LPA decided that no non-native species should be grown for fear of "affecting its integrity".  Meanwhile, the bushes and brambles are in constant need of hacking back before they take over the land that's now part of our gardens.

• 4 months later...

Can you tell me which part of the LPA you applied to, and how you did it?  Was it a letter or did you have to fill in some special form etc?  Did you do it as a personal request or with the other people who were affected?  I/we wish to do something similar and would like to learn about how the process works.