6.5m sliding doors

Rebel80

Hi all,

Wanted to get the view of others on the forum here. We brought our sliding doors and yesterday they were fitted. However, just now I noticed that the track is made up from two pieces - one part is around 6 metres and the other part is around 50cms (total opening is 6.5m). As you can see from the two pics attached, this doesn’t look right - I really thought it would be one track made (not two tracks joined together). This doesn’t look right to me and looks unfinished. I’m also thinking the point where the two join can cause issues later down the road.

E89FE351-A09F-4089-93D7-C9FD1C25CBDA.jpeg

Edited by Rebel80

Welcome.

If the 500mm part is under the standing (static) part of the window, then I shouldn't think there'll be a problem. However, if .....

Have you paid all the fitting costs for the window, or is there a retention?

When he has had his porridge, @craig will be along sometime soon to give his more qualified opinion.

42 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Welcome.

If the 500mm part is under the standing (static) part of the window, then I shouldn't think there'll be a problem. However, if .....

When he has had his porridge, @craig will be along sometime soon to give his more qualified opinion.

Thanks for replying. All three sliding doors are able to slide left or right. So no static part. 

Edited by Rebel80

4 hours ago, MJNewton said:

From what we've seen I imagine it might just be a case of flexing/persuading the two parts to be in better alignment. Perhaps some colour-coded silicone to fill any gap that might persist? 

I hope so and if done well then I think I’d be happy with this

@Rebel80Good to see the slender vertical glazing bars. They look great. They look like true sliders rather than the lift and slide type. We have the Origin ones and they run pretty smoothly with similar sized panels. The locks are discreate as are your's. Like them.

I think the break in the bottom rail is a potential issue. Your building is going to move under that bottom rail. You need to make sure that the drainage track channels the water outwards.. that's not going to happen once that joint opens up and translates sideways. Also as they are true bottom sliders you'll notice the bump as the bearings run over the gap in the stainless running bead. I have found ours are really sensitive and even a small amount of dirt on the running bead is noticeable. If these beads come out of alignment on plan then you'll be even more disapponted to say the least.

If it was me I would be minded to ask why did they not put the joint under the centre pane and fit a coupling piece under to ensure the water is channeled outwards at all times. The track will attract a lot of water when you get some driving rain against the glass.

Interesting to see your steel over. Who designed this? I wonder what is above in terms of load? The packers over the head look tight on that span particularly over the fixed centre pane. I ask as am curious how the installers have managed the deflection in the centre of the opening.

On 26/02/2022 at 09:56, ToughButterCup said:

Welcome.

Thanks, it boils down to a couple of factors but mainly system and factory size. You will at times end up with a joining section.

Sometimes theres nothing you can do but at 6.5m I’m surprised.

On 26/02/2022 at 19:11, Gus Potter said:

The packers over the head look tight on that span particularly over the fixed centre pane. I ask as am curious how the installers have managed the deflection in the centre of the opening.

They’ve used PU foam and that’s a rigid insulation so when the steel does deflect only operational issues will be experienced. 

That’s pretty much not done anymore and compriband is used, if they include it in installation cost or an extra. If client doesn’t pay for it not much they can do but use PU foam.

I suspect they will be difficult to slide at some point.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, craig said:

That’s pretty much not done anymore and compriband is used,

And there lies a potential problem. That is a big opening. When the wind blows on the glass the frame around about need to resist the loads. The central pane of glass is vertically spanning. The bottom rail prevents it from moving in and out.

At the top there is a gap and the fixings are subject to a lot more bending force. For fixings to realise thieir full capacity they also develop a "second order" tension effect. They can't develop the tension as the compriband compresses and the frame at the top will bend upwards / twist under wind loading.

One thing that stops the movement and saves the glazing companies is that the plaster board, masonry check outside / or the mastic lasts just long enough to make it very difficult for the home owner to complain.

Bifold doors can be even worse as when they are open they rely on the top part of the frame to stay rigid, it does not have to be windy to cause a problem.

It's a dilemma once you start to delve into it!

• Like 1

Hi all, thank you for messaging on this and providing some feedback. It’s been very helpful. Over the last few days I’ve spoken with over 6 other companies and they have all said that anything over 6m will require a join. The company that I brought the doors off have now filled in the gap with black silicone. So now although I can see a line, it looks ok. 

• Like 2