How much should tiling a floor cost?

Adsibob

a little pissed off by the prices I’m being charged for extras. We changed plans about a year ago (a couple of months after signing contracts) from a herringbone wood floor in a room, to a tiled terrazo floor. I only just got the price variation for this yesterday, a few days after most of the tiles had been laid (albeit the tiles have sat there for about 7 months waiting to be laid). I was credited £35 a m2 for not having to lay herringbone and debited £69 a m2 for laying tiles. The tiles are 600 by 600 whereas the herringbone was small pieces (about 85 by 280), so although the tiles need to be grouted, cleaned and then sealed I really didn’t think they would be such a big difference. Maybe I’m being stingy, but surprised the laying coat has suddenly doubled given one would need to seal the screed before laying a herringbone floor, si that would surely be equivalent to sealing the terrazzo.

curious what @nod thinks.

As a tiling contractor I would be doing cartwheels if I could get some of the rates quoted on here 

I can’t remember what size your floor was Sorry 

But probably quite a bit smaller than I’m used to There there would be some premium to be added 

For terrazzo laboure only 

We would be at £33-38m2

and would pay a tiler £22 m2 

These are on good sized areas 

Ive also laid a fair amount of wood flooring and it would be marginally quicker than tiles 

Site guys will nearly always be quicker and neater than the private guys 

15 hours ago, nod said:

As a tiling contractor I would be doing cartwheels if I could get some of the rates quoted on here 

I can’t remember what size your floor was Sorry 

But probably quite a bit smaller than I’m used to There there would be some premium to be added 

For terrazzo laboure only 

We would be at £33-38m2

and would pay a tiler £22 m2 

These are on good sized areas 

Ive also laid a fair amount of wood flooring and it would be marginally quicker than tiles 

Site guys will nearly always be quicker and neater than the private guys 

So the rate I was quoted is high, but is it high for London rates? The area is about 15m2, so not huge.

Doesn’t matter what the price is, you should always agree before work commences then you have no arguments.

that’s the whole point of extras - that’s where the money is made.

persimmon. Buy the bog standard house with centre light or pay £160 per downlight as an extra.