Internal to external socket

oldkettle

I am about to remove the roof  (corrugated asbestos cement ? ) from our attached garage. One of the issues is there are sockets which are currently inside the garage but will become external which all seem to be fed from the same place - a hole in the wall ( ?) which I showed in the picture. I think I may have access to the place in the attic feeding it but it may also feed sockets inside so ideally I'd not want to mess with this.

From what I can see it all sits on Type2 32A 30mA protected LN6330 RCBO. No, I don't really know what I am talking about here, but this is what got triggered a couple of times after long periods of a particularly wet weather when I failed to turn off further cable leading in the garden.

Is this OK if I replace the existing double-socket with a special outside one like https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-ip66-13a-2-gang-dp-weatherproof-outdoor-switched-socket/67928 ? Am I allowed to do this without a qualified electrician? Obviously, not planning to continue using it with any of the existing wires feeding off this socket, but if feels like the easiest solution?

outside socket 1.jpg

You have a lot more there than just one, or a pair of wires coming out of a hole in the wall to a socket.  There are cables inside the trunking, cables outside the trunking, cables going along the top of the wall.

A lot more to unravel and understand before you can devise a solution.

Is the garage being rebuilt or something else happening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You have a lot more there than just one, or a pair of wires coming out of a hole in the wall to a socket.  There are cables inside the trunking, cables outside the trunking, cables going along the top of the wall.

You are right! I had to get my glasses and take a closer look and s shot to notice this - see attached picture.

There are 3 in total. Two for sockets (I suspect one of these just passes through to feed the other wall, see the second picture, it seems to exit under the sockets), the other - lights, feeds the garage itself + the outside light, this is actually marked on the consumer unit as a 6A socket. This one I will have no choice but disconnect completely.

1741859225_wiresin.thumb.jpg.ae70ad38d390d375b9ff6f0d1fa569e4.jpg

942106663_wiresout.thumb.jpg.a246afa51b26db4d16112546897677c8.jpg

36 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is the garage being rebuilt or something else happening.

The plan is to create access for larger machines

- remove the roof

- remove most of the rear wall

- when I actually have trades coming remove the door as it's a good and loud barrier ?

Don't really want to demolish the remaining wall as may want to restore the garage in the future.

Edited by oldkettle

I have disconnected the light wire and want to install the socket today while nobody needs the ring main. Need an advice on the drain hole please.

The instruction says "For bottom entry the drain hole MUST NOT be drilled in Rear Box but the drain hole MUST be drilled at the lowest point of conduit run". Looking at the picture above, the conduit is completely open at the bottom and depending on how much wire there is I want to just position the socket to get the wire in from the bottom as this feels the safest possible way (may have to cut a bit of the conduit). Is this a reasonable plan? Or do I need to buy a flexible conduit and use it to protect the bit of the wire between the existing one and the socket entry? I guess this is where a drain hole at the lowest point of the run would make sense.

TA.

If an electrical box could fill with water, drill a drain hole. Often see external cable (tv and satellite especially) where the cable runs down and then into a wall without a drip loop formed … then people wonder why internal walls are getting damp.

1 minute ago, markc said:

If an electrical box could fill with water, drill a drain hole. Often see external cable (tv and satellite especially) where the cable runs down and then into a wall without a drip loop formed … then people wonder why internal walls are getting damp.

I am fitting a properly sealed external socket. The instruction is to drill one for a top, side or rear entry but not for the bottom one. With the bottom entry I can't see a way for the water to get in - am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

I am fitting a properly sealed external socket. The instruction is to drill one for a top, side or rear entry but not for the bottom one. With the bottom entry I can't see a way for the water to get in - am I missing something?

If it’s cable then no, if conduit then the conduit can fill, hence the drain hole at lowest point.

“Sealed” boxes should keep water out but that’s only if the seals are seated correctly etc. As your install if pretty sheltered anyway then you will be fine with bottom entry

• Thanks 1

Just now, markc said:

If it’s cable then no, if conduit then the conduit can fill, hence the drain hole at lowest point.

“Sealed” boxes should keep water out but that’s only if the seals are seated correctly etc. As your install if pretty sheltered anyway then you will be fine with bottom entry

You are right and what I was missing was that the existing conduit is open at the top. So if I add a flexible one inserted in the existing on one side and in the socket on the other it will inevitably fill with water. Once I change the socket the roof is coming down - won't be sheltered for long!

So no flexible conduit for now and no drain hole. Thank you.

5 minutes ago, markc said:

As your install if pretty sheltered anyway then you will be fine with bottom entry

Fugly though if he brings the cable down and round the side of the socket.

As it appears pretty sheltered I'd drill a drain hole in the box and go top entry in round pvc from the top. One of these in the top of the conduit. 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLTEG2.html?

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

Fugly though if he brings the cable down and round the side of the socket.

As it appears pretty sheltered I'd drill a drain hole in the box and go top entry in round pvc from the top. One of these in the top of the conduit. 

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLTEG2.html?

Thank you

The only thing is it won't be sheltered - fully open very soon.

11 minutes ago, markc said:

Harsh! But I see your point.

@oldkettle it will do …. Not in a Yorkshireman way! Yes it looks a bit untidy but it’s also not easy to get surface mounted wiring neat and tidy without a lot of practice.

Thanks

For the avoidance of any doubts. The dirty cable on the right over the top of the conduit is disconnected, it's the one that was leaving at the bottom of the old socket to feed sockets on the other wall.