Solid Wall Insulation

bighouseproblems

Thanks again to everyone for this information. The dcouments recomended are eccellent, and emphasise the many aspects to be considered, and the many approaches to resoilution.

the https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/publications/eehb-insulating-solid-walls/heag081-solid-walls/  document is  amodelof clear layout and explanation...I think i habve to print this and mark up all the applicable issues.

I note among the many suggestions are the two close to my own (and some of your) current thoughts.

Bighouseproblems.....my apologies if my input seems to be hijacking your original post, but it seems to apply to both of us, with differences of course in materials and probably ground conditions.

inner lining .jpg

It's an open discussion and we have similar problems with differing variables. If I'm being honest I think your bare structure will be somewhat simpler in terms of being able to stage out and implement ground up solutions from the get go. As a previous posted recommended the first thing that occurred to me would be to check your guttering and skews and coping stones I would also install some drip edges from your roof to your gutters to start. After another look at some information and the constraints I have most notably my front sandstone wall is south facing and most porous but managed by the sun however the rear is solid brick and receives no sun at all. So my solution as it stands is this. I will be stripping the paint off the rear of the property and have it repointed although it will not be a permanent solution I will be using a storm dry product to reduce the amount of water ingress into the wall via its face. Then after seeing about vented facades I will adopt a similar approach utilising my ground level airbrick and ventilated suspended floors to also ventilate a cavity wall that will run from the ground floor to the roof and maybe vent straight out. This will hopefully allow moisture to move upwards and outwards. As I mentioned before I may even look into a mvhr system and use some duct into the cavity also to aid circulation. Given all the money in the world I would most likely rip out everything and start again or knock it down ha but this seems to be the best compromise to my situation. The ventilation of the cavity Is work in progress but we will see what I end up doing and I will post up here with my build and outcomes. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and input from everyone and although there are differing views on solutions I have managed to pick through and take some really good ideas. 

20 hours ago, bighouseproblems said:

we have similar problems with differing variables.

Firstly apologies to all re my typing above. I pushed send as my dinner was arriving.

A big practical suggestion above, that we must take seriously is the initial drying of the walls. They are wetter inside than out where the roof holes are not yet sorted. so we need the roof on asap, then the summer can do its best and we delay inner lining and vapour and esp moisture barriers.

There was 4 inches of snow on Friday.....proper weather.   Absolutely stunning scenery.......as seen by daughter's photos as I am somewhere warmer.

For general interest, we await SE report to attach to our Warrant response. I am not on the Scottish database and my reports and designs don't count until they endorse them. Slightly nervous about what they will require, but so far most of my suggestions have been accepted on the drafts we have seen.

I will redraw my current proposal, and perhaps will think differently while doing that, and submit for marking.

20 hours ago, bighouseproblems said:

It's an open discussion and we have similar problems with differing variables. If I'm being honest I think your bare structure will be somewhat simpler in terms of being able to stage out and implement ground up solutions from the get go. As a previous posted recommended the first thing that occurred to me would be to check your guttering and skews and coping stones I would also install some drip edges from your roof to your gutters to start. After another look at some information and the constraints I have most notably my front sandstone wall is south facing and most porous but managed by the sun however the rear is solid brick and receives no sun at all. So my solution as it stands is this. I will be stripping the paint off the rear of the property and have it repointed although it will not be a permanent solution I will be using a storm dry product to reduce the amount of water ingress into the wall via its face. Then after seeing about vented facades I will adopt a similar approach utilising my ground level airbrick and ventilated suspended floors to also ventilate a cavity wall that will run from the ground floor to the roof and maybe vent straight out. This will hopefully allow moisture to move upwards and outwards. As I mentioned before I may even look into a mvhr system and use some duct into the cavity also to aid circulation. Given all the money in the world I would most likely rip out everything and start again or knock it down ha but this seems to be the best compromise to my situation. The ventilation of the cavity Is work in progress but we will see what I end up doing and I will post up here with my build and outcomes. I really appreciate the wealth of knowledge and input from everyone and although there are differing views on solutions I have managed to pick through and take some really good ideas. 

I strongly suggest reviewing the stormdry for its ability to allow water to pass OUT of the wall.

The test results show a decent reduction in ability compared to untreated. There are better products on the market for a breathability perspective.

Whatever you use, it IS a permaent solution. Its not like you can remove it afterwards!

Dont forget, if you add any one layer of something non permeable, then doing any others is waste of time. Whatever buildup you install either in or outside, will only perform to layer with the least ability to breathe. That includes your pointing.

To all interested parties,   these reference documents from SimonD are excellent and I recommend some study .

Have now started on  this one and even the introduction shows that they are a good balance of academic and practical.

https://www.changeworks.org.uk/sites/default/files/Solid_Wall_Insulation_in_Scotland.pdf

the first page starts thus:

Solid walls perform thermally better than current energy modelling assumes (i.e. they have lower U-values when measured in situ). This means that the potential financial and CO2 savings from SWI are often less than predicted – the implications of this could be considerable.

Then it goes into the conflicting subjects discussed above..... one of .the main lessons seems to be how different constructions and exposures will perform.

Everyone is correct, and now we have to juggle the relevant factors.

Again from the document:  More research is needed into the impact of SWI in increasing risk of moisture and condensation, and how this differs with different types of insulation, property construction and location

I wish I had found these docs a year ago...................I found other good ones but these are ideal.

I am now thinking that referring to these documents  should be helpful in convincing the Building Officer of the chosen construction methods, where no standard exists.