Distance for suspended ceiling

Pocster

I've got to start thinking about my suspended ceiling on the underground mega dungeon.

Current 'ceiling' is beam and block or just concrete.

I can't seem to find any details about the minimum distance the suspended has to be from the existing. I *recall* from somewhere 100mm. That correct?

We are planning recessed lighting. But again as modern recessed lights tend to generate very little heat and are slimmer ( plus also zero timber i.e flammable above ) then perhaps I need not worry?

Cheers

No regulation on what a suspended ceiling void needs to be. You can have it 20mm if you want. It's about what size do you need to hide the services. If you've 100mm waste pipe then it's probably going to be 130mm or so to allow for the pipe and fall.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I'll have this very same question for my mega dungeon in the future so thank you @pocster for posting it and @Dudda for answering it! ?

One thing you should be aware of as I've been told by all suspended ceiling suppliers - it will look like a Swindon Office block ceiling ....

25 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

I'll have this very same question for my mega dungeon in the future so thank you @pocster for posting it and @Dudda for answering it! ?

What are your dungeons dimensions? - better not be bigger than mine otherwise I shall add an underground extension!

Edited by pocster

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

One thing you should be aware of as I've been told by all suspended ceiling suppliers - it will look like a Swindon Office block ceiling ....

Do it in metal frame, then plasterboard as normal.  Just like a timber joisted ceiling but with fewer cracks.

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

(expletive deleted) THAT! - Measuring it now!

HMMMM! 92m2

But that's allowing for finished wall to finished wall. Bet @Thorfun is cheating and using just floor area.

I also have my dungeon courtyard - I should add that in really; which is 24m2

So total is 116m2 - funny how I win by 1m2 - my measuring though is rather "subjective" - anyway ... I WIN!

6 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Do it in metal frame, then plasterboard as normal.  Just like a timber joisted ceiling but with fewer cracks.

Can't have plasterboard ceiling. Too much of a PITA . Also I want access to everything everywhere - because of the eclectic layout..... ?

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

HMMMM! 92m2

But that's allowing for finished wall to finished wall. Bet @Thorfun is cheating and using just floor area.

I also have my dungeon courtyard - I should add that in really; which is 24m2

So total is 116m2 - funny how I win by 1m2 - my measuring though is rather "subjective" - anyway ... I WIN!

oh! we're INCLUDING the dungeon courtyard then are we?

in that case, I need to add an extra 19m2 so I'm now up to 134m2

<doing the happy dance>

6 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

oh! we're INCLUDING the dungeon courtyard then are we?

in that case, I need to add an extra 19m2 so I'm now up to 134m2

<doing the happy dance>

Ffs !

Lets do it by volume . What’s your floor to ceiling height ?

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Ffs !

Lets do it by volume . What’s your floor to ceiling height ?

just been down to measure.....3.075m

that's from proposed FFL to underside of beams. the screed is being laid Monday so I've subtracted that thickness (50mm) and the LVT thickness (10mm) from the current figure of 3.135m.

do I win some walk-on-glazing?

1 minute ago, Thorfun said:

just been down to measure.....3.075m

that's from proposed FFL to underside of beams. the screed is being laid Monday so I've subtracted that thickness (50mm) and the LVT thickness (10mm) from the current figure of 3.135m.

do I win some walk-on-glazing?

Ffs !

Rubbish game anyway !

You win Zoots heating system 

32 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can't have plasterboard ceiling. Too much of a PITA . Also I want access to everything everywhere - because of the eclectic layout..... ?

Just put access panels where you need them.  The suspended ceiling tiles look pony.

Our first floor is beam and block. The beam supplier provided some metal clips to hold battens to the underside of the beams. I think they were 22mm ish deep.  

So the void under beams was just the batten depth 22mm.  Under the blocks the depth available for downlights was 50+22+12= 84 or 85mm ish. 

Back then that was marginal for fire and sound rated GU10 style downlight housings but shouldn't be an issue for LED these days.

Edited by Temp
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Just put access panels where you need them.  The suspended ceiling tiles look pony.

No , no , no . If you could see what I can see you’d understand. I could put an access panel every 1m I suppose .