Grout colour sample lie and grout "shield" or stain pen

Adsibob

We've had some Mapei grout installed, chosen on the basis of a Mapei sample stick. It is at least two or three shades lighter than the sample stick and has somewhat diminished the look we were going for which was to try and match the colour of the floor tile as much as possible. Tiler swears he mixed it correctly.

I found some reviews online from others who have experienced the same. Is this is a common phenomenon? It appears it might have something to do with using hard water to mix it with, instead of distilled water.

A common solution that has been proposed is to use something referred to as a stain pen or a grout shield. Has anyone come across this? Does it work?

Many years ago I was involved with consumer electronic product design. Learned the hard way that colour matching can be very difficult. For example if you had a box made of metal and plastic it was very difficult to get the paint on the metal to exactly match the plastic.  Even the texture of the surface can change the apparent colour.

I doubt it was anything to do with the water.  My advice would be to leave it alone for a few weeks and see if you can live with it. I wouldn't go messing with grout colouring pens. Think that would end up looking untidy. If tempted try a sample somewhere hidden. 

Yeah, it's just odd, because paint samples are identical to paint, so why can't grout samples be identical to grout. I agree with your plastic/metal thesis, but then why do manufacturers make sample sticks in plastic (e.g. BAL sticks sold by Topps Tiles). At least the mapei sample sticks appear to be made from the actual grout.

Pretty flagrant breach of s13 of the Consumer RIghts Act 2015 imo:

13 Goods to match a sample

(1) This section applies to a contract to supply goods by reference to a sample of the goods that is seen or examined by the consumer before the contract is made.

(2) Every contract to which this section applies is to be treated as including a term that— (a) the goods will match the sample except to the extent that any differences between the sample and the goods are brought to the consumer’s attention before the contract is made, and (b) the goods will be free from any defect that makes their quality unsatisfactory and that would not be apparent on a reasonable examination of the sample.

1 hour ago, Adsibob said:

Yeah, it's just odd, because paint samples are identical to paint

Be careful with that assumption! Whilst they might contain the same pigment the body of the paint is usually very different and can thus lead to a different end result (not dissimilar to Temp's reference to plastics/metals).

Grouts can be a bitch to colour match I've found. Not straightforward.

What are the tiles?......stone.. porcelain? 

If not anything absorbent, perhaps some kind of sealer could be applied, as they often bring colour down a few shades..

Obviously, if you try it, ensure it's on an edge away from clear sight.

Edited by Makeitstop

Just now, Makeitstop said:

Grouts can be a bitch to colour match I've found. Not straightforward.

What are the tiles?......stone.. porcelain? 

If not anything absorbent, perhaps some kind of sealer could be applied, as they often bring colour down a few shades..

Obviously, if you try it, ensure it's on an edge away from clear sight.

yeah, it's porcelain. We have a large free standing bath going in, so was going to try and test some colourers on that area. Anyone recommend any brands?

I worked for a company that was one if the few independent places that was allowed to reproduce the Coke red without prior checking.

Odd as I was half blind with misted cataracts from all the excessive UV exposure I have had.

Colour matching by eye is fun, I can copy almost anything, Lovejoy would be proud.