Alu-clad vs timber cost

LilttleVoice

6 hours ago, ProDave said:

local distributor for Rationel is ADW in Aberdeen,

Rationel passed the enquiry to them and I had already emailed them. Nothing. Will try again.

What do you think of my £/m2 approximation?

btw we have been to Stevenswood in Inverness. 3 makes of upvc and one of aluminium , which is "Real".

I hadn't heard of Real before, but the examples on display were very nice,  with elegant sections and robust construction and thermal break, and the prices sounded ok.  (supply only) I vaguely recall £1,300 for a 2g fully glazed double door.

1 hour ago, Makeitstop said:

You'd think the suppliers would give consideration to that and make an adjustment to the product they decide to display in that case.

Hardly a great advert for them to have something on show that doesn't function nearly as well as a potential buyer might expect.

These are not low priced products after all, and consumers should be able to gauge how the display product might work for them in their own spaces.  

Exactly, the stands had raised timber floors and were bouncy walking on them. Top hung doors would probably have been ok but the floor movement caused the slides to bind

28 minutes ago, markc said:

Exactly, the stands had raised timber floors and were bouncy walking on them.

Was this just internorm stand or was this all stands? If all stands I would blame Build It rather than those displaying.

I only tried this one door, but was shocked at how heavy it felt compared to a high quality fully aluminium lift and slide 2g door.  It was night and day difference.

For me, I would rule 3g out in that type of product if it were typical of that size of door, and, if it were one I needed to use "regularly". Would get right on my nerves.

Looked lovely, but I generally dont just want to look at my doors.

Don’t rule them out, they slide like butter. One bad experience shouldn’t result in them being discounted.

I’ve done a 19.5m lift and slide triple track & triple glazed with 2 half tonne doors sliding right and another 2 sliding left (12.5m clear opening). 1 tonne when sliding together and you can slide them with ease.

Edited by craig

• 1 month later...

We just had two identical sets of double sliders installed.  One on first floor on a steel one on ground floor sat on blocks, the difference in operation is huge, the slider on the steel works so smoothly you can do it with a finger.  Amazing how such things can make such a massive difference.  Littlevoice, a consideration when deciding on french/bi-folds/sliders, do consider how windy it is where you are - sliders don't bang around like other doors can.

• Like 1