13m rule?!

Just after a bit of advice around building to the side of our house on top of the existing garage to add a fourth bedroom..it’s a detached house but towards the side there’s a couple of bungalows. I’ve been advised that I wouldn’t get planning because It needs to be 13m away from the bungalow. 
there’s several properties near by that have done something similar and seems less than 13m. I’ve put in a pre planning app to see, but just not sure if I’m going to get the nod?! 

I’m an architect and I feel like I need to have a badge that says *citation needed* too.

If you look on your local planning website, look for the SPD (supplementary planning documents) or something that has a design guidance document in there. That’s the best bet. I’ve seen a few numbers about facing window to window and overlooking but I’ve never heard of 13 seems a bit random. Or just ask them how they got to that. When you say ‘an architect’ do you mean just some random one, or is it one your using?

I think this will be the minimum distance between facing windows of habitable rooms in different dwellings they are concerned about.

Normally it is more like 21m or 22m required, eg between houses so the back gardens would need to be 11m long each. One solution could be preventing a view between ground floor windows, so having say a 2m separating fence with permanant retention of that fence being enforced by a planning condition. 

Ways around it in your situation could be obscured (eg frosted or stained glass) windows, windows above viewing height such as a clerestory, non-habitable rooms (eg bathroom, hallway, storeroom), or the windows being at an angle rather than straight on to each other.

Here is one example of the rule for East Staffordshire:

https://www.eaststaffsbc.gov.uk/sites/default/files/docs/planning/planningpolicy/spd/Separation Distances and Amenity SPD_Final_Jun19.pdf

How different Local Planning Authorities approach it varies, also by nation. Also affected by varying ground levels between dwellings.

Talk to your LPA as to what they mean by it, and then put eg "no clear windows to habitable rooms on the side" into the mix as to how you design your extension. Consider eg a frosted roof window on the side, and your viewing windows on the front and back. You will need to satisfy them or come up with an acceptable alternative.

Of course if you can show that your neighbours have no habitable rooms facing you, then you may be able to argue that they have solved your problem.

Potentially it could also be about you casting a shadow on them, so you may need to consider your roof height and profile, and do a sunlight model (there's a website somewhere that does it).

ATB

Ferdinand

• Thanks 1

Here (Edinburgh) they use a 9m from the boundary rule for upstairs windows of habitable rooms.

I assume the 13m rule is something similar. If that is the case if the windows can be put on another side of the extension the rule may not apply.

• 10 months later...