Long skinny sill

Pocster

Ideally I wanted maybe granite/quartz. Approx length 4metres. Width maybe 25cm ish.

I've been told not possible in granite as it could crack. So would be maybe 2 pieces with a join.

Assumed maybe do-able in corian - but it would seem the same issue.

Is it fair to say as I'm installing it granite is my best option? i.e. I've got more chance of getting the join acceptable.

Is this a sill or an upstand

We had a granite upstand 2.6M by 15cm tall and 20mm thick.

It took the stone company 2 goes to cut it, the first one snapped.  They warned us if the second one snapped they would have to do it in 2 pieces. So I think you would be lucky to get 4M in one length.

I was glad we had ours supply and fit, if it broke getting installed it would be their problem.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Is this a sill or an upstand

We had a granite upstand 2.6M by 15cm tall and 20mm thick.

It took the stone company 2 goes to cut it, the first one snapped.  They warned us if the second one snapped they would have to do it in 2 pieces. So I think you would be lucky to get 4M in one length.

I was glad we had ours supply and fit, if it broke getting installed it would be their problem.

Sill 

Guessing 2 x 2metres is my best option and join them the best I can ( tbh the join isn’t critical) . I might choose a ‘busy’ pattern to hide the join .

Make sure the join lines up with something, e.g. the exact centre of a window bar.  If we had had to have a join in the upstand it would have been exactly in the centre of and behind the tap, which is NOT at the mid position of the upstand.

• Like 1

You could also do it in cement board and then cover it with microcement in your choice of colour and texture. Gives a joint-less finish and probably cheaper than buying a piece of slab. 

Have a look at Topcret, (other suppliers are available).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies, a bit late but I hope you found your sill.

Most granite slabs are between 2.8m to 3.3m. You will not find a 4m slab in this country unless it is a special order from abroad. Even if it is, not all fabricators are equipped for it with the correct machinary. You will need a joint regardless what material you pick. Best place for that is in the centre ofcourse.

You can visit your local fabricators, they will have off cuts from kitchen related jobs they have done. From Granite to Marble and Quartz. It helps brings the costs down quite significantally for this.

Also, when people say Silestone, it is the name of the quartz produced by Cosentino.

• Thanks 1