Critique my complex(ish) mech plan - 2 floor UFH, 2x ASHP, 2x dedicated ventilation..

puntloos

20 hours ago, puntloos said:

Can you give me a guess? The far run that the heatguy suggests to make the dedicated loop for is 12m or so, but the rest is 8-5m 

My calculations say that for 8m distance, 22mm pipe, 10L/minute flow rate - https://www.sensorsone.com/volumetric-flow-rate-and-diameter-to-flow-velocity-calculator/

Not ideal. Sounds wasteful too.

Not sure, will ask ?

Ran hot tap in WC, probably has longest dead leg off the DHW loop and is just 15mm bore.

Activated MVHR booster (which triggers DHW return pump) and turned on tap. Hot water in 8 seconds.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Ran hot tap in WC, probably has longest dead leg off the DHW loop and is just 15mm bore.

And how long did that take?

10 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Activated MVHR booster (which triggers DHW return pump) and turned on tap. Hot water in 8 seconds.

8 is fine, but indeed "instant" seems to be the dream. Asked my guy to explain the whole 'branching' point. Will let you all know when I hear ?

8 hours ago, puntloos said:

And how long did that take?

8 is fine, but indeed "instant" seems to be the dream. Asked my guy to explain the whole 'branching' point. Will let you all know when I hear ?

You could have instantaneous DHW at the point of delivery by using inline impulse heaters (believe Jeremy did this) or wait however many seconds (30, 60, 90?) for it to pull through from the cylinder. Or go for something in-between like I did. 

A hot return loop falls into the 'easy and relatively cheap to do during 1st fix, very hard and expensive to do when build is finished' category.

I suppose you could run the loop back to the tank but not connect it or a pump (would just be a dead leg) until you're sure it's required.