Heat Pump decided not to come on last night

AdyHoggs

Hi, My Vaillant heat pump system is timed to come on during the night, it normally comes on as planned and I wake up with a warm house, this morning the house was cold and my water was not heated. It was -3 outside last night, this is the second time this has happened over the last few months. The unit is reporting no fault, do I need to reset something, also my frost protect delay is 4 hours, I’m not even sure what a frost protect delay is, thanks for any help, Ady

Mine had a similar behavior 3 days ago, after looking at the status in multiMATIC there was a "quick veto" activated, which I have absolutely no idea what it is.

I did change some parameters during that night (when it was off) and it didn't turn on at the "day" schedule, maybe it was related.

It’s strange, only happens now and again, last week neither the heating or hot water would come on, no matter what I did on the control panel, it’s as if it was stuck, so I went outside and switched the heat pump off on the wall for 5 minutes then back on and it started working again.

2 minutes ago, AdyHoggs said:

It’s strange, only happens now and again, last week neither the heating or hot water would come on, no matter what I did on the control panel, it’s as if it was stuck, so I went outside and switched the heat pump off on the wall for 5 minutes then back on and it started working again.

The well known "re boot the computer"

I have gone as far as install a time switch that turns the power off for 15 minutes each morning just before the scheduled heating time to automatically reset any errors that might leave the heating not working if we were away.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The well known "re boot the computer"

I have gone as far as install a time switch that turns the power off for 15 minutes each morning just before the scheduled heating time to automatically reset any errors that might leave the heating not working if we were away.

Think I might start doing this restart more often then, maybe weekly

I've never had to reset or restart mine. I'd consider calling Vaillant if you are finding this.

The Internet gateway (VR920) if you don't already have it is quite handy as it displays good information about the system status in the event there is or has been a fault.

Is there anything connected to the 'supplier input' (EVU/ECSO terminals)?

Edited by J1mbo

5 hours ago, AdyHoggs said:

Hi, My Vaillant heat pump system is timed to come on during the night, it normally comes on as planned and I wake up with a warm house, this 

Hi Ady, What's your 'Heat bivalence point' set to?

Might want to make sure it's set to -20 if you've got no backup heating system.

Edited by ColB
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, J1mbo said:

The Internet gateway (VR920) if you don't already have it is quite handy as it displays good information about the system status in the event there is or has been a fault.

Agree, very useful.  But the server must be hosted on a x486 somewhere far away, from the responsiveness of the app.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, ColB said:

Hi Ady, What's your 'Heat bivalence point' set to?

Might want to make sure it's set to -20 if you've got no backup heating system.

Hi ColB, It was set to -15 I’ve now changed it to -20 on your advice. Both times this has happened it has been a foggy night, would this affect the heat pump. BTW what is the heat bivalence point, is it the outside temperature?

Edited by AdyHoggs

5 minutes ago, Bruno said:

Indeed ? 

I was hoping they would have Modbus interface by now, for interfacing with Loxone with no internet or Vaillant server dependencies.  They marketed one 18mths ago when they launched the new range of controllers, but nothing..

50 minutes ago, AdyHoggs said:

Hi ColB, It was set to -15 I’ve now changed it to -20 on your advice. Both times this has happened it has been a foggy night, would this affect the heat pump. BTW what is the heat bivalence point, is it the outside temperature?

When the outdoor temp is lower than the bivalence point, the backup boiler kicks in.  If yours is set to -15 then I don't think it was your issue.

Worth watching this video and compare the suggested settings toward the end. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KVs7oHynEM

Screenshot 2022-01-18 at 20.47.37.png

Edited by ColB
  • Thanks 1