Remote switching device

joe90

As some of you will have seen I am having problems with my UFH and need to change the way it’s designed, this raises a problem in that I have no wiring from the room stat to the ASHP bit went to the UFH manifold) but I need to signal between the two. I have heard of kinetic switches, is their a product you would recomend to do this fir me?

Edited by joe90

Don't re invent the wheel.  if you need to convey the signal from a room thermostat to a remote location without wires, start with a wireless room thermostat

e.g. start with this selection https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/wireless-thermostats/cat4600004?cm_sp=managedredirect-_-plumbing-_-wirelessthermostat

For just "simple" i would choose this one https://www.screwfix.com/p/danfoss-ret2001rf-rx1-s-wireless-room-thermostat-and-receiver/856jt

• Like 1

Thanks @ProDave, only problem I have is it needs to also switch the manifold pump which is in a different location so I was going to put the wireless switch next to the manifold pump (and hopefully be mains driven as I hate batteries?) so when the room stat turns on the pump the wireless bit fires up the ASHP ?

24 minutes ago, Temp said:

There are plenty of wireless systems for general use but perhaps see... 

https://plumbbox.co.uk/product/mains-switch-rf-solution-alternative-to-cabling/

That's a neat solution and would allow your one existing thermostat to continue driving it's existing load and at the same time switch another remote load via radio.

13 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I am still ploughing through my old wiring as I can’t remember what I did ?, I must draw a proper diagram and schematic. ?

I am using my present slack period to start compiling the "house manual" to document everything, before I forget it.

• Like 1

I had to do something recently - enable the connection between a wired thermostat and the heating wiring centre, but without a wire as the renovation work that will provide that opportunity to run one hasn't started yet.

What I opted for was a pair of Shelly 1 smart relays with the thermostat output connected to the switch input on first relay which is configured to remotely activate/deactivate the relay on the second relay which in turn is wired into the wiring centre. It is only intended to be temporary hence didn't want to spend too much (it was only £20) but it hasn't skipped a beat, or at least not since fitting an RC snubber a few months back on the output of the second relay and it seems that when turning off the zone valve (or CH pump?) was inducing some sort of spike that kept resetting the relay - seems to be a known issue with inductive loads and I later found out they sell their own snubber for this sort of application.