Rome wasn't built in a day

Pixie5740

Hello self-builders.  The more and more I think about what I would like in a home the more and more building it myself seems to make sense.  I used to want one of the old Victorian or Edwardian properties but then I realised that the maintenance and cost of heating those properties would be ridiculous.  Now I would like something very modern and most importantly eco.  The more electricity and heating I can produce myself the better.  I have ruled out the cookie-cutter new builds as whilst they do have a lower EPC than my granite tenement flat I think we can do better.

I'm very much at the start of this journey so I'm looking forward to scouring this forum for ideas.  I have seen a few plots of land in the right areas that come with planning permission although I don't know if I want to build exactly what there is planning permission for.  I also need to decide if I want to remain in North East Scotland or return to the Central Belt but first I need to research and save those pennies.

Hi and welcome.

The good thing (one of many) about Scotland, is generally plots are easier to find than many other parts of the UK.  Best of luck searching, you will get a lot of help and advice here, particularly on energy efficient homes.

welcome. the beauty of self-building is you can build a Victorian or Edwardian or contemporary modern or whatever you want (subject to planning of course) and still make it an 'eco' home. build it with lots of insulation and airtight and then put whatever century/decade of design you want on the outside. 'eco' homes don't need to be modern looking.

7 hours ago, Pixie5740 said:

The more electricity and heating I can produce myself the better. 

welcome welcome.

Perhaps consider altering that mantra to the less electricity and heating i can consume the better.

much better to not to need it rather than have to produce it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iceverge said:

welcome welcome.

Perhaps consider altering that mantra to the less electricity and heating i can consume the better.

much better to not to need it rather than have to produce it. 

This is very true. One of the reasons for wanting to self-build is that I think you can achieve better insulation than the new build properties being produced en masse which will in turn mean energy consumption goes down. 

I saw an interesting article on Eigg where the island has gone almost 100% renewable with hydro, solar and wind but that each household was limited to using 5kW at a time which meant really thinking about energy usage.