Apple Homekit - good basis for DIY home automation?

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

What amazes me about home automation, especially on this site, is that will all the programmers on here, and a few hardware experts, they have not designed an open source one that can have simple modules that plug in.

That’s because it isn’t that simple ….

@SteamyTea unless you are a software engineer- you won’t appreciate how complex things are . 
putting 10 numbers in order ( bubble sort for example ) 

path finding from a to b ( dystrias a star algorithm) 

I can list a million things … worst still is when those are too slow because you need to do them 100k a second .

Nothing is easy on a computer . Clicking “ do it “ is easy . Even the code to allow a click , debounce it , repeat etc . Is a lot of work .

Software engineering is like god ( not intended to sound arrogant ) you need to design and allow for everything… 

13 minutes ago, pocster said:

That’s because it isn’t that simple ….

Never claimed it was easy.

I hated the software modules at university, and I was one of the better ones at it.

But surely these days you get modules that are added onto the main program. What happens in the Python stuff I use.

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Never claimed it was easy.

I hated the software modules at university, and I was one of the better ones at it.

But surely these days you get modules that are added onto the main program. What happens in the Python stuff I use.

It’s all still a mess . I hate modern shite . Rest api etc. Etc . Old tech with new tech with latest tech , will Apple push tech ( AppleTalk anyone ? ) , with Samsung best tech with Microsoft we are the best . Bloat ware on top of bloat ware . Competing companies don’t communicate to co exist . Never have and never will because it’s not in their individual interest . 

Edited by pocster

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

hate modern shite 

So do I. I understand BASIC and the underlying assembler, but seemed to miss the decade when C came along.

When I worked for Welcome Break  they had a new POS system designed in Israel. One of the test engineers came over and on a Monday morning started, what looked like random touch screen presses, until something went wrong. Then she wrote the sequence down, and started again.

She did that for two weeks.

I would have cheated.

9 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

So do I. I understand BASIC and the underlying assembler, but seemed to miss the decade when C came along.

When I worked for Welcome Break  they had a new POS system designed in Israel. One of the test engineers came over and on a Monday morning started, what looked like random touch screen presses, until something went wrong. Then she wrote the sequence down, and started again.

She did that for two weeks.

I would have cheated.

You’ve fallen into the trap !

” I learn the language I know what to do “

linked lists  - a beautiful concept . 
sort algorithms ( until they are too slow )

path finding 

MPEG ( recursive macro block degeneration)

C , python , bbc basic doesn’t matter !!!!

Thats where the learning is ( and a million other things ) the language becomes irrelevant to some extent .

?

Edited by pocster

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

linked lists  - a beautiful concept . 
sort algorithms ( until they are too slow )

path finding 

MPEG ( recursive macro block degeneration)

Now you are just talking like a programmer.

It is a case of using English words, but in an odd manner, until they do not make sense.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Now you are just talking like a programmer.

It is a case of using English words, but in an odd manner, until they do not make sense.

A non technical person I worked with asked me if the debugger fixed the code . Like I write crap code ; click “ write commercial soccer game “ pops out the end . When I explained it’s like stopping your body then monitoring every blood cell anywhere at any point he couldn’t believe it ….

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

When I explained it’s like stopping your body then monitoring every blood cell anywhere at any point he couldn’t believe it

Nor do I.

There are about 25 trillion blood cells, so even if they could be in only 1 of 4 places, it would take longer than the age of the universe to count them.

P versus NP

But some simpleton Physicist have made a major breakthrough in the Riemann Hypothesis.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

Nor do I.

There are about 25 trillion blood cells, so even if they could be in only 1 of 4 places, it would take longer than the age of the universe to count them.

P versus NP

But some simpleton Physicist have made a major breakthrough in the Riemann Hypothesis.

Or tracking a single blood cell until it reaches your heart ( debug break point on memory access  ) - needle in a haystack fun .. ? . Real man stuff ???????

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes well, we all know how that muscle got developed.

So with all this knowledge, turning the lights on and setting the heating would be a doddle.

I expect to see a working example by Friday noon.

Ldmfd r13!, { r9-r10 } what hard cock men do !

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

What amazes me about home automation, especially on this site, is that will all the programmers on here, and a few hardware experts, they have not designed an open source one that can have simple modules that plug in.

There are loads of open source "standards" out there. The big issue is data capture. All those companies listed above want to be sure they gather their share of the data about how we live our lives. I suspect the problem with my connection to these bulbs, see thread here: 

is to do with the fact that I have them on a private network so although I can see them they cannot see the cloud so won't talk to me. I will play some more tomorrow but if they must speak to a cloud to work then they are going back. I am happy to dial into my own cloud service and then talk back to the house but I don't want my data shared by anyone unless on a shared / open basis. I swither about developing my own system but to make future proof without me would be problematic. 

• Like 1