UFH insulation underneath?

Pocster

Hey all,

My first floor has beam and block we intend wet UFH. Should I bother and insulate underneath it first?. Heat loss would heat the beam & block which is good yes?

So can I lay the UFH straight on B&B ; membrane then screed?. Another issue I have is that insulating the floor would obviously effectively lower my ceiling.

This hasn't been spec'd ; so I am adding as I go. If I did insulate what thickness?; low maybe 50mm???

thanks as always!

Edited by pocster

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You need Insulation as you have a cold bridge into the beams and they will take a lot of heating ..!!

What is the space below the beam and block ..??

Ah ok :-)

Below is the underground room! (which will have UFH also).

So 50mm on beam and block good enough?. I guess screed is 50mm ish.; so I'm gaining quite a bit of height.....

Our basement ceiling is beam and block. There is no cold bridging, beams are inside the insulated envelope. We have 50mm of insulation below the screed and ufh pipes on ground floor.

I discussed the need of this insulation with my architect as i did not see it being essential, but he disagreed on the basis that we would be heating basement via the ceiling.

In any case, the beam and block contributes to the heated mass and will help stabilise the room temperature.

10 hours ago, CC45 said:

Id put more than 50mm of insulation under the pipes.  Weve got 225mm under ours.  2.5m height  in rooms.  All sorted before we started to build anything.

Wow!; that's a chunky floor!

8 hours ago, ragg987 said:

Our basement ceiling is beam and block. There is no cold bridging, beams are inside the insulated envelope. We have 50mm of insulation below the screed and ufh pipes on ground floor.

I discussed the need of this insulation with my architect as i did not see it being essential, but he disagreed on the basis that we would be heating basement via the ceiling.

In any case, the beam and block contributes to the heated mass and will help stabilise the room temperature.

BCO is out today ;I'll see what he thinks - usually he is somewhat dis-interested!

Edited by pocster

Basement ceiling - you wont need as much as our floors but if you are running both rooms at different temps then you will need some.  

How are you dealing with heat losses on the perimeter?

46 minutes ago, CC45 said:

Basement ceiling - you wont need as much as our floors but if you are running both rooms at different temps then you will need some.  

How are you dealing with heat losses on the perimeter?

Bco thought 50mm insulation was fine .

perimeter ? What do you mean exactly ? The insulation upstand ? 

Cheers

3 minutes ago, pocster said:

Bco thought 50mm insulation was fine .

perimeter ? What do you mean exactly ? The insulation upstand ? 

Cheers

Cross posted. I mean external boundary of the walls, yes it is an insulation upstand. I think it is 300mm thick.