Self-cleaning/easy-clean coating - does it work and can it be combined with solar control glazing

Adsibob

I'm being told two conflicting things about easy clean (sometimes called "self-cleaning" - is there a difference?) glass for a rooflight.

Supplier A is telling me that it can't be fitted in combination with solar control glass and I need to choose one or the other, whereas supplier B is happy to supply the coating onto the outer pane of the rooflight (in this case SN70/35).

Supplier A is also telling me that the self cleaning coating doesn't really work in the UK and is designed for climates where there is more sunshine.

So:

• who is right about the conflict between self-cleaning and solar control? and
  • does self cleaning glass work in the UK on a near flat rooflight?

In case it is relevant, this is for a large 2G rooflight (about 3.7m by 0.8m) which will be installed almost flat (about 4 or 5 degrees).

Self cleaning is a myth, there is no such thing.

Self cleaning basically means that material on the glass reacts and degrades but remains in place until.

1: It rains and it washes it away but the glass will still need cleaned.

2: You wash it away.

13 minutes ago, Adsibob said:

I’m sure it’s a myth in the sense that it doesn’t clean itself, but does it at least make it easier to clean?

Yes it’s much easier to clean and needs cleaning less often.

a polymer is used to fill/smooth the surface roughness effectively making it slippery.

9 hours ago, Adsibob said:

I’m sure it’s a myth in the sense that it doesn’t clean itself, but does it at least make it easier to clean?

In my honest opinion, no less than a standard window. Remember the poop from a bird would need to remain for a few days for the Hydrophilic coating to do it’s magic.

It doesn’t immediately react with organic dirt and then you need to wait for rain, for it to wash away (obviously rain isn’t much of a problem here).

Edited by craig