External wood paint or wood preserver for battens?

Thorfun

We're planning on Shou Sugi Ban timber cladding (https://shousugiban.co.uk/range/charred-larch-cladding/) on the majority of the outside of our house with a shadow gap. We already have a black breathable membrane so we will need to paint the timber battens black to ensure they don't show through the shadow gap.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience as whether it's best to use an exterior paint or a wood preserver type product? and if any particular product is better than any other? and any other recommendations?

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Or get the blow torch out and char them also.  If you can see them, so can UV and eventually what ever you treat them with will need to be retreated, with little or no access.

that is an interesting idea and could be fun. although, with the cost of timber at the moment I'd be worried I'd over do it and would have to throw lengths away.

we're not talking massive shadow gaps so hopefully UV damage will be minimal

I've looked in to and thought about burning the battens but I think it'll take a lot longer than paint.

our local BM has suggested this Superdec paint from Sadolin (https://www.sadolin.co.uk/products/sadolin-superdec-satin-opaque-wood-protection/). We've used it on a previous house for exposed timber but I wonder if it's overkill for battens (it is rather expensive!) or if there's a less expensive product that we could use

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, shirebuild said:

Hey @Thorfun - what did you go with in the end for treating your battens? We're in the same boat right now!

we decided not to bother and are going with a cladding profile that doesn't leave a gap! that way, no painting of battens is required.

385986712_Screenshot2022-03-01at15_02_36.thumb.png.efaa47063edae3a6f3c4f85904b56234.png

2058250252_Screenshot2022-03-01at15_02_55.thumb.png.f78876681bd51f17bc58a51e72371322.png

lazy or wise? I'll let you decide. ?

• 3 months later...

Just circling back to share that we painted our battens in Bedec matt black Barn Paint - https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/BN041305C

We laid them all out on pallets and went hell for leather with paint pads - it took a while but not as bad as expected! We were strategic about which sides we painted for which section/height. Some we did 3 sides, some just one/2. 

They have just finished installing the horizontal cladding and it looks great (IMO)! Just moving onto the vertical now so we'll see how that turns out.

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 1.34.53 PM.jpeg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, shirebuild said:

Just circling back to share that we painted our battens in Bedec matt black Barn Paint - https://www.brewers.co.uk/product/BN041305C

We laid them all out on pallets and went hell for leather with paint pads - it took a while but not as bad as expected! We were strategic about which sides we painted for which section/height. Some we did 3 sides, some just one/2. 

They have just finished installing the horizontal cladding and it looks great (IMO)! Just moving onto the vertical now so we'll see how that turns out.

well done. a lot braver than us! 🙂 

4 hours ago, shirebuild said:

WhatsApp Image 2022-06-07 at 1.34.53 PM.jpeg

Why did you paint the battens?  Won't they be covered with the cladding?  Also, did you fit the counterbattens to get the cladding to line up with the brickwork?

There are 8mm gaps between each plank of timber and depending on which way the sun is shining you can see the battens through those gaps to a greater or lesser degree. Now it’s done I feel it was 100% the right decision to paint em. 

@Mr Punter not sure what you mean about getting the cladding to line up with the brickwork? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, shirebuild said:

There are 8mm gaps between each plank of timber and depending on which way the sun is shining you can see the battens through those gaps to a greater or lesser degree. Now it’s done I feel it was 100% the right decision to paint em. 

@Mr Punter not sure what you mean about getting the cladding to line up with the brickwork? 

That makes sense.  I didn't notice the gaps in the photo.  Be interesting to see how much the gaps grow and shrink with the seasons.  I have some 140mm wide hardwood ipe decking that we fitted butted up and it can have now have gaps of about 15mm in the summer.

I thought this may be a timber frame and you were wanting the cladding to be flush with the face of the brickwork below?

19 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

That makes sense.  I didn't notice the gaps in the photo.  Be interesting to see how much the gaps grow and shrink with the seasons.  I have some 140mm wide hardwood ipe decking that we fitted butted up and it can have now have gaps of about 15mm in the summer.

I thought this may be a timber frame and you were wanting the cladding to be flush with the face of the brickwork below?

The gaps are pretty unnoticeable until you get closer. I would have had them bigger but felt it didn't look quite right up close (i.e. when sitting on the future patio) and also nervous about increasing exposure of the membrane to the elements. Ooh good to know, yes it will be interesting to see how the gaps behave at different levels of moisture.

It is a timber frame and yes there are counterbattens to bring it out to the correct depth for the windows. The first floor is bigger than the ground floor though, so on that elevation pictured, the upstairs overhangs by 60cm. At the front it's just over 2m.