Caravan - services required

We have just gained planning permission to construct what will be our retirement home on land adjacent to our existing house.  During the build of our new home we are looking to purchase a caravan / mobile home to live in for the duration of the build.  I believe we will be able to get a new electrical and water supply that can be used by the caravan but we will not (in the caravan) be able to connect to the mains sewer. We have no prior knowledge or experience of caravans, apologies if this has been discussed before (I can’t find it) but how do caravans / mobile homes dispose of everything from dishwater to raw sewage when ‘off grid’?

Yes the normal is get the new supplies connected to the plot.  Electricity meter usually in a waterproof enclosure near the plot boundary so not in the way for building.

There is no law preventing you getting a mains foul water connection and connecting the caravan to that so are you talking of some physical reason you cannot connect to the mains sewer like it would have to go uphill?

A touring caravan will have a low after pressure connection or pump, and a cassette for the waste. You don't want that hassle for a year +. A static caravan is basically like a house with standard type water and waste connections. Typically both will 16amp electric connections that you can take directly from your temporary site kiosk.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Yes the normal is get the new supplies connected to the plot.  Electricity meter usually in a waterproof enclosure near the plot boundary so not in the way for building.

There is no law preventing you getting a mains foul water connection and connecting the caravan to that so are you talking of some physical reason you cannot connect to the mains sewer like it would have to go uphill?

Electricity and water should not be a problem to connect but the location of the mains sewer in relation to the ideal location for a caravan is far from ideal hence asking the question and wondering how others may have managed. 

Recently positioned a second hand static caravan on my site, in preparation for the arrival of the builder.... 

Had a manhole for sewer available, so positioned caravan over it, as it was easier for me to bring water and power to the caravan than the sewer. 

4 hours ago, P6TE said:

Electricity and water should not be a problem to connect but the location of the mains sewer in relation to the ideal location for a caravan is far from ideal hence asking the question and wondering how others may have managed. 

The drain connection from the caravan to the mains does not need to be done "properly" for this, as long as you can find a way to get it to go downhill (otherwise you want a pumping chamber)  It can even run on the surface or up in the air with supports if the site is awkward.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

The drain connection from the caravan to the mains does not need to be done "properly" for this, as long as you can find a way to get it to go downhill (otherwise you want a pumping chamber)  It can even run on the surface or up in the air with supports if the site is awkward.

Thank you, that’s useful.  I’ll look into that and see if we can make that work.  ?