Changing a handle & latch on a door

TryC

Hi All,

I am in the process of stripping a door - I initially wanted a new door fitted because the one we have is a bit dated. However, it is solid wood so have always been apprehensive to get rid of it because I wanted to keep the charm of the house in tact. So we are now stripping it, but the door comes with an old style handle - just a pull/push to close - closing by a ball/turn.

When there is a bit of wind in the house, the door blows open, which is a bit annoying - so I wanted to ask if anyone could give advice on how to change this system to a door handle - do I get a locksmith (I really have no clue!) or a joiner or someone else? There seems to be a long wait for a joiner to even come (this is when I tried getting a quote for the entire door to be replaced).

What type of person do I need to get this changed?

Or is it possible to do it myself?

20211024_111630.jpg

20211024_111640.jpg

20211024_111652.jpg

3 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Door locks are tricky and need decent tools as well as the knowledge.

The knowledge is on youtube. But the first time will still be trcky.

The tools are in the shops.

For a one-off, I recommend getting a joiner.

thank u!

Those those little white nylon catches tend to have a slot in the middle into which you can insert a screwdriver. You then turn the screwdriver to adjust how far the catch projects (you might have to push the plastic ball back into the body of the catch before you can turn it).

You never know, might be just enough to stop the door blowing open. You also try changing the catch for a new one of the same size - the spring inside the old one could have lost its oomph.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, James Newport said:

Those those little white nylon catches tend to have a slot in the middle into which you can insert a screwdriver. You then turn the screwdriver to adjust how far the catch projects (you might have to push the plastic ball back into the body of the catch before you can turn it).

+1 to this. 

If you look carefully at the photo you can see the slot I have arrowed 

A9CBD9A1-17CF-469F-97AE-F2911AA8549C.thumb.jpeg.9daf2fe7f8350c68021bd61a92e0ed0f.jpeg

You need to put a flat blade screwdriver in to the slot, push back against the spring and turn it counter clockwise. Just do it half a turn at a time as if you go too far it won’t roll back on the frame. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

+1 to this. 

A9CBD9A1-17CF-469F-97AE-F2911AA8549C.thumb.jpeg.9daf2fe7f8350c68021bd61a92e0ed0f.jpeg

You need to put a flat blade screwdriver in to the slot, push back against the spring and turn it counter clockwise. Just do it half a turn at a time as if you go too far it won’t roll back on the frame. 

thank u!

+1 to this. 

thank you!

+1 to this. 

3 hours ago, James Newport said:

You never know, might be just enough to stop the door blowing open. You also try changing the catch for a new one of the same size - the spring inside the old one could have lost its oomph.

thank u!