replacement window fitting - expanding foam or expanding tape

riccol1966

Hi everyone, I'm sure you all have an immediate answer/preference here, but can I ask what is recommended when looking at replacement windows and how window fitters seal the windows into the opening. I've just visited a site where a well known window company used Wurth expanding window foam, I was looking at the can being used and it's clearly designed for windows, has a fine cell structure and of course will fill every gap, especially around the spacers used to ensure a square mounting. On the other hand I was under the impression that expanding tape such as compriband was recommended but then I notice a number of forum posts which indicate difficulties with the tape, particularly if the gap is not consistent and how it works when butting up against the window spacers/packers and how to maintain an airtight seal with the tape. 

I wonder do some companies choose one method over the other based on installation speed and cost, and there's also the question of how well foam or tape perform over the 20 year lifespan that you would expect from the window itself. I would appreciate any feedback here from those more knowledgeable than me in this area, 

Best regards 

Richard.