Level of detail required in drawings of planning application

Anthony Crown

Hi,

I am currently preparing a planning application for a loft / rear conversion of a victorian terraced house in a conservation area of London. As the work is very standard, and several neighbours have done close to identical extensions, I've decided to do the planning application by myself. However, when it comes to drawings, the only stated requirements I've identified are that of what drawings are required to cover, and at which scale the drawings should be in, but I can't find any further specification. Are there any?

I've had a pre planning meeting with the councils planning officers, which sent me a response on relevant rules and regulations concerning my particular renovation (to which I've adjusted my current drawings), but this does not detail exactly the specifications of the drawings.

Is there any information on requirements?  What type of measures do I need etc.  When I look at previously accepted planning permissions in the councils database, I see very simple drawings, which do not even have size / measure explicitly stated (beyond the scale which I guess, from which you could derive all measurements)  

Does anyone have an idea?

Planners accept a vast array of detail in drawings from Sketches to full blown architects drawings and 3D walk throughs. The things they need are the principle dimensions so they have something to refer back to. In my experience around here they don't even need drawings of consistent scales but the dimensions written are what they take along with relative features of the drawing. So if you show the top of a dormer as below the roof line but put a dimension that would make it higher than the roof line then the drawing not the dimension stands when you build it.

I did my own drawings. I have some pictures saved somewhere of the hilarious efforts I found when searching my local are to see what people had submitted which was a great confidence boost for doing my own using a 20 year old version of corel draw that I’d not used before.

If you go on the planning portal it should list exactly what you need. My local authority had a handy list of the prerequisites and they insisted on knowing the paper size it was scaled to. 

Site plans and location plans will set you back about £20 for the pair.

Then it’s your floor plans and elevations, both existing and proposed, and a roof plan in your case if you’re changing that.

The main things they will want measurements marked against are the additions. You don’t have to mark the measurements against your existing property, but do against the new. They can scale against the original if they choose to. 

If you’ve checked your neighbours applications then there’s some good benchmarks to take inspiration from in terms of detail. 

Edited by dangti6

Proposed works should be dimensioned, in both plan and elevation. Depending on your LPA’s validation list, they may also require dimension site or block plan drawings.

If you have seen recently validated applications online, use those as a guide. When Planning get round to formally validating the application, they will get back to you should they require any further information.

Btw, are you going to the Permitted Development/Lawful Development Certificate or Householder application route?

• 2 weeks later...