Makita tool repair.

ProDave

A joiner friend of mine dropped into the conversation last week, he had 2 faulty Makita 18V cordless multitools, do i want to "have a look at them" and if I can fix them one for me one for him.

I was astonished at how easy and cheap they were to repair.  In both cases it was the front bearing of the motor had failed, the gearbox and everything else seemed fine.  Very easy to dismantle the tool.  The motors did not appear servicable but replacements were found for just under £20 each. 

When I took his repaired tool back today, he told me that these were both replaced FOC under warranty by Makita at under 3 years old and they didn't want the faulty ones back which is how he ended up with them.

I just thought people might like to know how easy they are to repair, and how cheap and readily available most spares seem to be.

• Thanks 3

3 year warranty with makita has been no-quibble to date.

Replacement tools attract another 3 years of cover. 
Bingo bango ?. Not enough hours in the day to try and fix things but a free multi tool for £20 is a good day in anyone’s book. If anyone does not have a multi tool yet, get one, they’re just so damn handy. Didn’t know I needed one until on site with my mate and I used his corded Fein Multimaster. ?

19 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

19 hours ago, jfb said:

My makita chop saw has stopped working - fancy mending it?!

How old is it? Brushed or brushless? 

About 7 years. Pretty sure it has brushes. 

I wasn’t seriously expecting help on getting it mended but you never know!

1 hour ago, jfb said:

About 7 years. Pretty sure it has brushes. 

I wasn’t seriously expecting help on getting it mended but you never know!

Have you checked the brushes? They usually just screw out each side. 5 to 10 mins to remove and examine. I’d start there as they wear down and then just don’t meet the armature any more ergo motor stops turning one day. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Have you checked the brushes? They usually just screw out each side. 5 to 10 mins to remove and examine. I’d start there as they wear down and then just don’t meet the armature any more ergo motor stops turning one day. 

And often, just removing them, rotating them 180 degrees and putting them back will make enough contact to get it running again,. at least for a short time, thus proving it is just new brushes needed.

• Like 1