Foamglass

Lorenz

Has Foamglass  ever been used for the main structure, I saw some listed a while back and thought, are prices coming down, as it seemed relatively cheap. But would it work, I know they can dint etc, but once a skin is on them, should be OK and they should not have a problems as they are load bearing. Would need some protection for point loads and such, but....

They ain't something you build a house of if that's your question? They're for reducing cold bridges etc. I have some under my slab between the slab itself and some padstones. Had to use them as they have a higher bearing capacity than EPS 300.

I don't see why not if the compression strength is enough.

A quick interweb search throws up 0.5 MPa for Foamglas.

Brick seems to be between 0.28 and 2.8 MPa.

There is more to it than just compressive strength. Thermal expansion and failure modes spring to mind.

I do like the idea of making a house out of it because the thermal properties are so good.

0.038 to 0.055 W/m.K for foam glass, and 0.15 to 1.6 W/m.K for brick.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Lorenz said:

Has Foamglass  ever been used for the main structure, I saw some listed a while back and thought, are prices coming down, as it seemed relatively cheap. But would it work, I know they can dint etc, but once a skin is on them, should be OK and they should not have a problems as they are load bearing. Would need some protection for point loads and such, but....

A few considerations... 

- still expensive compared to standard construction

- lead time and availability

- very low density means stability (inc uplift and temporary stability) is likely an issue

- possible fire rating problems

- making connections - would they work with joists hangers etc? How would you connect frame cramps/wall ties

- compression strength is OK, but how about shear and tensile strength - with the low mass these could be critical

- while not a big issue for single dwellings, there may not be must robustness in the design

- most importantly, what bank would mortgage it??

Edited by George
  • Like 1

On 03/10/2021 at 13:58, Lorenz said:

Has Foamglass  ever been used for the main structure

No.  That is not what it is designed for.  It is manly used as insulation and they do a stronger version (Perinsul) to be used in a single course to prevent thermal bridging between wall and floor.

Marmox also do a similar product (Thermoblock) to Perinsul but a fair bit cheaper.

• Like 1

I had some to look at and it did not seem that different from AAC blocks strength wise, and I know they can have issues if not done well. Wondering why no one has come out with a competitive foamed glass block? Also why no more highly foamed for better insulation?

I have worked with microspheres and there was a similar but larger bubbled glass product available, though I don't seem to be able to find it at the moment. Problem is something to stick them together without creating other issues, I guess.