Energy supplier gone bust

There are seemingly an endless list of energy suppliers going bust (I think 7 at my last count?!) including some that I know many on here have used. 

ours has gone under (utility point) and we’ve been ‘switched’ to EDF. 

What im trying to get my head around is which supplier is a safe and cheep pair of hands to switch to when EDF say I can go? All of the ‘cheep’ suppliers run the risk of going t*ts up again, but I don’t want to be left with significantly higher bills. 

On the plus side I can probably sell our nearly full tank LPG for more then I bought it for now!

1 hour ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

ours has gone under (utility point) and we’ve been ‘switched’ to EDF. 

I have stuck with EDF years now.

They have never been the very cheapest, nor the most expensive (I am limited in choice where I am).

When I have looked at switching, the differences are so small i.e. £9 saving last year, it is hardly worth the bother.

EDF have had some good deals, and they are backed by the French government, and I suspect the generation side is totally different from the retail side.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

I have stuck with EDF years now.

They have never been the very cheapest, nor the most expensive (I am limited in choice where I am).

When I have looked at switching, the differences are so small i.e. £9 saving last year, it is hardly worth the bother.

EDF have had some good deals, and they are backed by the French government, and I suspect the generation side is totally different from the retail side.

I was with EDF until I thought I could save a couple hundred a year by switching to Avro. I regretted it. Avro have been a nightmare and eventually went bust last week, owing me £780. I moved to Octopus just before they went bust- purely for the reason that I thought they were about to go bust because they were helping themselves to my money, running up a huge credit balance to support their cash flow  needs.

11 hours ago, Wil said:

Phew, I thought you were saying Octopus had gone bust... they still appear to be trading at least!

No, Octopus have been quite good compared to Avro. But then a dead corpse would provide better customer service than Avro did in the 8 months I was with them. Shocking excuse of a company, I am actually glad they have gone bust.

Edited by Adsibob