PV Calculation

bobberjob

OK so just got a shock with my new electricity deal as my fixed term has ended. Tried Uswitch - after registering etc etc comes up with NO DEALS AVAILABLE

I am now considering installing PV panels. We are doing a barn conversion and living in a static on site. Most of out consumption is during the day as we run a business from the site as well.

My estimated usage is 13000 Kw per year mostly in the winter as used for space heating and drying as there is no mains gas.

Does anybody know any options before I call installers for a quote?

Options for what? Space heating? PV output will be at its worst in winter and will contribute very little to energy demand at that time of year. I would suggest PV can be beneficial if it's considered within a wider plan for how you manage heating, hot water and energy use generally. Financially it makes more sense to self install if you want value for money. I'm sure many installers will be happy to quote you, but make sure you understand how you are planning to use this PV before you ring them.

There are a lot of questions to answer before jumping in.

Presumably your usage is high at the moment because you are in a static caravan well known for having very little insulation.  So you are in a temporary situation.

Your goal should be to make your barn conversion as well insulated and air tight as you possibly can to minimise it's heating, and then plan to heat it with an air source heat pump.  It should be pretty easy to halve your electricity usage from your present hopefully temporary high level.

Solar PV in our case provides us about a quarter of our electricity and being able to use stuff in the daytime makes self usage easier.  This us with a typical 4kW system.  If you go larger than that (will need prior DNO approval) then battery storage might become viable as otherwise it will be hard to self use all the daytime peak.

The energy market is in turmoil at the moment, this is going to be a very bumpy winter for many struggling with energy bills.  I too looked at options to switch and found nobody wants to take on new customers at the moment. So for this winter at least stick with your new supplier, you will probably be put on a transitional tariff which although higher than what you were paying, is probably less than any new customer will get.

Situation is barn will not be done anytime soon. When it does get converted it will be to maximum insulation standards!

We are 85% electric for energy with some lpg for van heating.

Our electric bill is estimated at over £3K this year. We use a lot for laundry and space heating for customers visiting our beauty salon.

It is a modern steel frame barn with a south facing roof of 22mtrs x 4 mtrs with a pitch of about 11 degrees. We also have large grounds where we could mount a floor based system.

I'm looking to replace the grid as much as possible rather than obtain an income.

Is there a good starting point such as book or recommended supplier?

I'm starting with eBay suppliers and found several supplying 4-6Kw systems with battery storage from £4K

Be nice to know who/what to avoid

Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge.

30 minutes ago, bobberjob said:

We use a lot for laundry

Was chatting to someone that owned a commercial laundry.

To cut their energy bill they used a combination of heat pumps and ozone injection. Not sure if that is viable on the small scale, but an interesting idea.