Energy monitor - Emporia Smart monitor?

BMcN

Was looking into making an arduino energy monitor for my house but came across Emporia Smart Home Energy Monitor.

For £150 you get 16 CT clamps and and the wifi hub.  This is probably what it would cost me in parts to do similar with arduino.  Has anyone ever tried the Emporia?  

Only downside I can see that I am not a huge fan of is that it is all cloud based and they dont seem to offer any API.

Just now, Dan F said:

I have one of the emonpi devices, which is similar. Easy to get going but a bit frustrating all in all. It only sends power reading samples once per five seconds, ok for hour by hour monitoring bit a a bit lethargic for real time control of PV redirect etc.

OTOH it's all local not cloud based, otherwise it would be far worse again.

Or you could try the iotawatt. http://iotawatt.com/

It's a development of the Open Energy monitor system using an Arduino. Doesn't use the cloud, stores some data locally, includes rudimentary graphing but also allows you to upload to other databases. I upload to a local Emoncms database from 2 of mine and the emoncms.org site from the 3rd.

I recommend it, it's cheaper and simpler to set up than the Brultechs and easier then making the open energy monitor system.