Layout Changes

Dutch

Hi, apart from reducing the walk from kitchen to bedroom or mezzanine what benefit would it add?

I think the potential benefits would be outweighed by the disruption to kitchen layout and surfaces.

I would still have a door at the top of the stairs into the kitchen/diner, you don't want your sitting room to be a corridor, especially on a rainy day when you're carrying shopping up the stairs and around the house, I don't think the stair position is very helpful in the layout, your coming up the stair to a pinch point facing the only private space with all the social spaces behind you. Is this an extension project with certain things in place already?

I'd keep v1, reverse stairs orientation: you get direct access to the kitchen as wanted, quicker link to the utility/car )shopping) and storage (shoes, shoes an maybe more shoes) under the stairs. Additionally you do not open 'an invitation' to go upstairs to any visitors standing in the entrance.

Move the stairs towards the front of the house so that they begin level with the balcony wall above. Then you have room for a double door into the kitchen at the top of the stairs opposite the spiral staircase. You might even have enough space to make a hall.

They would still be plenty far enough from the front door.

Or they would be far enough down that you could put the kitchen area back to the rear and the door would be close to the middle of the room which is probably the best place for it.

If it's a new build, how have you go to this point so far? 

What's the constraints on the site and what's your brief? 

There's lots of decisions in this one which are hard to understand so maybe some more background would be useful for anyone making suggestions 

@Dutch I have attached a sketch below for you to think about.  A bit rough but I think it could work.  A few advantages of this proposed layout:

1.  Squarer bedrooms with built in wardrobes acting as sound insulator between hallways, bathrooms etc.  

2.  Wider hallway downstairs with plenty of storage.   Assuming this is a family home downstairs hallways are a pinch point so every inch helps.

3.  Stairs moved forwards from current design.

4.  Makes lounge more of a room than a thoroughfare.

5.  Incorporates either normal or spiral staircase for mezzanine, but doesn’t get In way of sofas etc, so lounge is better shape.   

6.  Creates a landing area at top of stairs that can be left open plan or potentially walled.  Light should come through from dining kitchen window to this area.

7.  Bathrooms and en-suites sit above each other so easier for plumbing.  Upstairs loo as far away from living space as possible. 

may not be suitable for you but just giving you alternative ideas.  Hope this helps.

4F8F3B2E-28F2-46C4-B524-8EBD8B246DA5.jpeg