Getting back VAT on groundworks

Only the materials used in or attached to the house can be claimed. @JSHarris has done a lot more on this than myself but that's the principle I am working on. So in my view, the VAT people will make the final decision, not the muck away, concrete yes, pump no - perhaps get a pumped price per m3 then I suspect you can claim it as you just had expensive concrete! Rebar yes, clayboard yes.

If you get a company to provide a package of work, which is what we did, then they should zero rate the whole job, so you don't pay any VAT.  The same goes if you take this approach for the build; in our case the supply and erection of the foundations and frame included some costs that, if we'd contracted for them separately, wouldn't have been zero rated.  For example, there were structural engineer costs for the foundation and frame where the VAT wouldn't have been reclaimable, had we contracted for them separately, but because these were included in the one contracted build package they became zero rated.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Only the materials used in or attached to the house can be claimed. @JSHarris has done a lot more on this than myself but that's the principle I am working on. So in my view, the VAT people will make the final decision, not the muck away, concrete yes, pump no - perhaps get a pumped price per m3 then I suspect you can claim it as you just had expensive concrete! Rebar yes, clayboard yes.

Cheers Mike. Concrete seems to go up by £20 odd quid if pump companies supply it so wouldn't be worth it

36 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Weigh up the numbers and if the difference is minor, get a work package. The hassle is also outsourced and may we well worth it. You also get assurance that the work package is zero rated. You dont have to cashflow the VAT. And you eliminate the risk that an item you expected to be zero rated isnt left to the whim of a VAT inspector.