Sun tunnel install on zinc roof?

Hi, just wondering if anyone’s had any experience installing sun tunnels in a zinc roof? It’s a low pitch roof of 8 degrees. Any advice on installation, best products on the market,  any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Sun tunnels are best suited to hotter countries with brighter skies. A roof light would be a better option here, zinc can be soldered/braised to form upstands and a shallow pitch roof kit used or just diy 3g glass panel with downturns 

2 hours ago, tonyshouse said:

Sun tunnels are best suited to hotter countries with brighter skies

That is a bit of a sweeping statement.

I was very impressed with the effects that Monodraught got from their sunpipes.

Slight disclaimer, I had done some work with them in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had a sun pipe in our last house to light the landing which otherwise had no natural light.  It worked very well and lit the landing nicely.  The internal bit looked like a large flush light fitting and we were often asked "where is the switch for that light?"

Ours was a standard flashing kit on a 45 degree tiled roof so I can't unfortunately help with the zinc roof question other than have the sun pipe ready and get the roof installers to deal with it?

Often with metal roofs you have to plant a new section of metal from the penetration all the way to, and under, the ridge. otherwise the laps dont work. 

OR if the zinc is old-fashioned craftsmanship, there may be  a plumber left in the country who can fashion some lovely waterproof trim.

imo sunpipes are for corridors, or to provide a glimpse of daylight for someone otherwise in the dark. For more light you can sometimes use a skylight and build your own box down to the  room, eg if there is an attic, you can box down, and have a translucent ceiling panel, and a reflective boxout above. Here is my favourite example

Palau de la Música Catalana